Chapter 26

✠Ray's POV✠

Things are a bit calmer in the house, meaning nobody's had a mental breakdown. But there's still some distance and everyone can sense it. I've tried to make amends, but I can only do so much. Maybe this is a time issue. I should just let Rayan get used to his new life, then hopefully he'll open up.

But besides what's happening with Rayan, Max has been acting down lately. She hardly smiles, is almost always tired and I think she's just stressed about Rayan. Whenever we talk, she just skips around the subject of her feelings. I'm worried about her, so I decided I'd surprise her and show up to her job today to see how's she feeling. Of course, I'd have to find a means of transportation, considering I can't drive. I called for one to be here in a few minutes, before I jumped in the shower and cleaned myself up. I did my hygiene routine, put on a long sleeve t-shirt and some jeans and my black tims. It's still winter, but I didn't exactly need a coat. Making sure I had my wallet, my phone went off letting me know the Uber drive was here.

I grabbed my keys to lock the door and got inside the car. Of course the drive gave me a sideways glance, naturally, but I brushed it off because they were the least of my problems. I gave the guy the address and he drove off. I got to the plaza where Max's salon was, and I noticed there was a Chinese takeout restaurant a few stores over, so I stopped in to buy her lunch. I waited nearly twenty minutes before I could pay and take my food next door.

"Can I help you?" I was greeted by a very petite female with purple tips and a bob cut.

"I'm looking for the owener."

"She's in the back, do you have an appointment?"

"No, but I'm here husband."

She saw the wedding band and her eyes grew big.

"Oh, I didn't know..." she mumbled, becoming embarrassed.

"It's fine."

"You can just go straight back, it's the door on your right."

"Thank you." I warmly smiled, before walking past the two hair stylists and their clients. As usual I got stares and heard them murmur to themselves, but I gladly ignored it, placing my hand on the doorknob and opening the door.

"Knock knock." I said upon entering. Max saw it was me and came over to hug me.

"Aww my baby came to visit me." She cheered, wrapping her arms around me. I hugged back before she let go.

"How did you get here?"

"Uber. So this is it huh?" I looked around her cozy office, with the black love seat and matching coffee table.

"Yeah, this is all me. You like it?"

"It's dope. I'm happy you were able to hook this up while I was away."

"Well we had to keep money coming in some how." she took her seat behind the office desk, while I placed the bag of food on it.

"What's this?"

"Lunch. I got you your favorite."

She rummaged through the bag while I continued to inspect the room.

"Chicken and broccoli with white rice? You didn't." She squealed seeing the meal at the bottom of the bag with a lemon tea Snapple.

I laughed, seeing the many pictures of the boys when they were younger, on one of the tables. There was one with a toothy Riley and a happier, younger Rayan. Another picture that stood out was the one of Max, who was pregnant with Riley, Rayan and I at my mother's house. I'm pretty sure it was taken the day I was arrested. That particular picture brought good and bad feelings, but the good feelings went away once I noticed the bouquet of roses next to all the memories.