Chapter 22

❃Max's POV❃

"Ooh, thanks for such a wonderful break girl!"

"Yess, we had so much fun! I love your house, and Cali is so beautiful."

"Thank you lovies!"

"We need to do this again real soon."

"Yess, but this time when it's warm enough to go swimming!" Taylor enthused.

I laughed a bit, before seeing my peoples off. I instructed them each to call me soon as they land back where they live, before I hopped in my car. Initially I wanted them all to stay until New Year's, but they were missing their children (and Jacob had to go back home for work), so I didn't hesitate to help then pack and take their flights.

I was pulling in my driveway, turning off my car when I stopped in my tracks. It was dark when I first left the house, now the sun is slightly peaking over the horizon. It was quiet on the street while everyone slept. A closed-mouth smile came to my lips as I realized my two sons AND husband were inside, all waiting to start their day as a family.

I felt giddy, as I hopped out the car and locked it before going inside. I set my keys on the counter and placed my purse on one of the kitchen chairs. After, I went upstairs and straight for my room, where I saw Ray knocked out on his side of the bed. He was lightly snoring, but I didn't care. I missed it. I unzipped my jacket and threw it on the floor, followed by my sweats. I had on shorts underneath, along with a t-shirt. I climbed in bed, next to my husband, laying my head on his chest. It felt good to feel his heartbeat and breathe in his scent, especially after a busy week.

⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜

I woke up five hours later. I could see the waves crash ashore outside with the sun shining super bright this morning. I was still laying on Ray's chest, and when I looked up I noticed his eye patch first. Of course, when I first saw it that day at the hospital, I wanted to know what it was. I just didn't want to be rude, or embarrass him. But we're alone now, so I'm thinking he'll be a little more comfortable.

Trying to be slick, I slowly reached up with my right hand, to take a peak and see what was underneath. It was lifted a bit, but Ray stopped me before I could see anything.

"You not slick..." he groaned, looking down at me. Damn. I just smiled through the child's play.

"But you still love me." I insisted, crawling up to his face and giving him a morning kiss. We may not have brushed our teeth, but did it matter?

"Why wouldn't I?"

He put his arms around me, and pressed for another kiss while turning us over so he was on top. We continued kissing, me wrapping my legs around his waist as his hands traveled up and down my thighs. Before I knew it, he was shirtless and I was pantsless. He pressed his lower half closer to mine and I knew it was about to go down. At least, until the phone rang.

Neither of us wanted to stop but it could've been important.

"Wait, let me answer it." I said, pushing Ray aside. He groaned and fell beside me, while I pressed the receiver to my ear.

"Hello?"

There was no response, so I initiated again. For a long time, there still wasn't a response, but I could hear the other person breathing. I started feeling weird, and Ray could tell.

"Who is it?"

I asked again, hoping to get an actual answer. But the caller hung up before I could. I looked at the phone, before putting it back on the hook.