Chapter 15

They both continued to walk around the decorated ballroom. Occasionally stopping every now and then to talk to some people Jason knew. She recognized a few people that she met last week at the charity event. Krystal's hand continued to be tucked in Jason's arm the entire night as if it were permanently glued there. She would give polite smiles and nods when necessary and make small talk when they asked her questions. On the outside, she seemed calm and collected, but on the inside, she was actually quite nervous and bored. 

Once again, just like last week, she felt out of place. The men and women that Jason stopped to talk to were all dressed in high end, extravagant suits and gowns that Krystal was sure must have cost a fortune. She felt uncomfortable and out of place there. 

It also didn't help that most women were openly glaring at her. Even married woman! They were all jealous of Krystal because she got to cling onto Jason's arm all night. She had already been his date last week. Surely she should have been gone by now yet there she was tonight. 

They knew just how rich and powerful Jason was and they wanted in on it. But not all the women there were like that though. There were some that were genuinely nice to her and actually engaged her in a conversation because they sincerely wanted to get to know her. 

Jason continued to drag Krystal along all throughout the night. 'When will it already be over?' Krystal thought. She was bored out of her mind as Jason continued to talk about his businesses and politics and other sophisticated stuff. So, she decided to let her mind drift off.

Though she had a good poker face, Jason knew that she was insanely bored. If one thing he learned about her this past week, it was that she had a very short attention span. While he was talking, he sometimes couldn't help but take sneak peeks at her from the corner of his eyes. And every time he looked at her, if she wasn't talking to anyone, she would have this far away look on her face. And every time, he would wonder what she was thinking in that pretty little head of hers.

Really, she began thinking of all kinds of food and what she was craving for at that moment. 'Hm,' she mentally moaned. 'Nutella would be so good right now. Or sour gummy worms. No, coconut ice-cream. Or - ' She was cut off when she felt a vibration coming from the secret pocket of her dress, hidden under the layers and layers of fabric.

Taking the free hand that wasn't tucked in Jason's arm, she unzipped the small zipper of the pocket and took out her phone. She looked down at the screen and saw that her mother had texted her. Quickly unlocking her phone, she read the text. Jason, who was looking down at Krystal to see what she was doing, also read the text.

'Want to hear a joke? LOL' -Mommy

Krystal internally groaned. Her mom had just recently learned that LOL actually meant 'laugh out loud' instead of 'lots of love' so she had been using it with everything lately. That's just how old-fashioned her mom was.

'You suck at jokes.' -Krystal

'I did make you. LOL'. - Mommy

Krystal giggled. She had to admit, that was a good comeback. Jason, who was still reading the texts along with her, had to stifle his own laughter with a cough. Krystal looked up at him to see if he was okay. She still hadn't noticed Jason was reading the texts with her. With a wave of his hand, signaling he was fine, Krystal turned her attention back to her phone. Jason continued to look at her screen.

'I'm being serious.' -Krystal

Her moms reply was almost instant.

'Hi being serious!' -Mommy

'Fine. Just tell me your joke.' -Krystal

'LOL, okay. Why does Peter Pan always fly?' -Mommy

'Why?' -Krystal