Chapter 19

Krystal quietly closed the storybook and set it down on the side table next to the bed. She laid a sleeping Emily down onto the hospital bed, careful not to wake her. After she adjusted the blanket onto the sleeping little girl, she kissed the top of Emily's little bald head and left the room. She paused and leaned against the door for a bit before sighing. Emily's condition was getting worse and the doctors feared she didn't have much longer to live. All they really had now was hope.

After a few more seconds, Krystal pushed herself off the door and started walking down the corridor. Her shift had been over for about an hour now but she had promised Emily earlier that morning that she'd stop by her room before she left.

Krystal had just entered the staff locker rooms before remembering that she still had the All Stars to go to that night. Since they were racing, they needed to rent a race track for this part of the competition. Sadly, the race track was located an hour and a half away from New York City and Krystal had no ride.

Carter was probably there by now. Ryder, Aiden, Aaron, and Dylan had all gotten off work earlier and had already left so she couldn't ask them for a ride. Liv said she was riding with Liam but she doubted they were still in the city either.

Krystal cursed being the only one who got off work later that night. But still, she grabbed her phone out of her locker and dialed Liv's number anyways. She waited as the phone rang until Liv picked up.

"Hey ugly", she heard through the phone.

"Hi Loser. Listen, did you and Liam leave already?" She secretly prayed inside her head, hoping they hadn't left yet.

"Who is it?", she heard Liam ask Liv.

"Krystal," Liv whispered to him. "Sorry babe but we already left. We're like halfway there already."

"Damn."

"Yeah. Sorry."

"She need a ride?" Liam asks. Krystal could imagine Liv nodding her head. "Give me the phone."

Krystal heard some shuffling through the phone before hearing Liam's voice.

"Hey Krystal!"

"Uh, hi Liam", she drawled out his name.

"So I hear you need a ride to the race tracks?" She could almost hear the smirk in his voice.

Krystal sighed as she ran a hand through her hair. "Yeah I do. Everyone I know already left."

"Well not everyone you know."

Krystal furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Before she could ask who it was, Liam cut her off.

"Jason," he stated.

"He hasn't left yet?'

"Nope," Liam laughs. "That workaholic is probably still typing away on his laptop up in his office right now. You can ask him for a ride. He should probably be coming soon. You have his number right?"

A little hope blossomed in Krystal. "Yes, I do! Thanks Liam!"

"Welcome!" he replied. "Stop looking at me like that!"

"Like what?" Krystal heard Liv's innocent voice ask.

"Like that! I swear to God Olivia, I will pull the car over right now and we won't make it to the racetracks until midnight!"

Liv's laughter could be heard before the line went dead.

Krystal laughed while she dialed Jason's number. She waited as the phone continued to ring and was just about to hang up when Jason finally answered.