Chapter 10

"I'm sorry it's been so long since I last visited. I've been so busy that I've barely had time for myself, and you know how I like being able to chat with you guys. Work is busy as usual, and so is everyone else in my life. Naomi is apparently dating Vincent, which should be interesting. Do you guys remember him from my boarding school days? That academy was an entirely different experience. I don't know what made you choose it, Mom. Speaking of the academy... Remember Benjamin Norek? Well, Ben and I are in a relationship. He's been so good to me, Dad. I think you would really like him, and his work ethic. It's so similar to what you and Mom taught me."

I took a deep breath before continuing.

"I'm still so scared that the people I care about are going to leave me the way you two did. I know it wasn't your fault. The pain is still there, though. You weren't able to see me graduate college. Daddy, you weren't able to threaten any boys I brought home except my first one that everyone hated anyway. Momma, you won't be able to drive me crazy with wedding plans when that day comes. And neither of you will be able to see me pregnant, hold your grandchildren. I'll tell them stories, of course. But it won't be the same. It feels like that for every first you got to see, there's two of every other firsts you won't be able to see. It's not fair."

I closed my eyes, letting the tears fall down my face freely.

"Thank you for giving me the world when you were here. Thank you for always believing in me, and for always pushing me to be a better person than I was yesterday. Life isn't the same without you two, and I don't think it ever will be, but I'm finally doing it. Mom, Dad, I'm finally beginning to live. And I think you'd be proud of me. I think you're still around, watching over me. So, thank you for being my parents. And thank you for giving me the best possible eighteen years that a girl could ever ask for when you were here. I love you two so much, further than the stars and deeper than the oceans."

I pressed a kiss to my hands and placed them on their headstones. I adjusted the flowers and stood up. I walked over to where he was waiting for me. I wiped my tears and stepped into Ben's warm embrace, letting him hold me tightly.

"Are you okay?" he asked me.

I nodded. "Yeah, actually. I am."

"You ready to go home, love? Or do you want to stay a bit longer?"

I looked up and felt two snowflakes land on my face, one each cheek. They felt like the kisses my parents used to give me as a little girl. I smiled.

"Let's go home," I said with a warm smile.

As Ben drove us back, I couldn't help but think about what he had said a few weeks ago.

"Are you still planning to move here after the holidays?" I asked him.

"Yeah. I found a place that's close to yours, actually. I can sign the lease in the next few days. Do you not want me moving closer?"

"Don't be a moron. You've been staying over the last week since you went on holiday, Ben. If I didn't want you around, I'd tell you."

He pressed a hand over his heart in mock pain.

I laughed.

"Seriously, though. Why'd you ask?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Just making sure."

He nodded.

I was grateful there wasn't much traffic on the road that we had to take to see my parents. It meant we could there and home faster. Though, another thought came to mind.

I could always move back into the house.

"We're here," Ben declared.

I looked up at my apartment complex and made a decision.

"Ben," I said.

"Yeah?"

"How would you like to move in with me?"

"To your place?"

I nodded.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded.

He broke out into a grin.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"As long as I get my daily dose of love," he bargained.

I laughed. "Always."

"What about after?" he asked.

"After what?"

"I love you, and part of that means I want to spend the rest of my life with you and would ideally love to start a family with you. Where are we putting our fur babies?"

I looked at him in confusion.

"Babe, we can't have human children if we can't deal with fur children first."

I laughed, shaking my head. "Actually... I was thinking about that."

"And what were you thinking?"

"What about my house?"

"Your house?"

I nodded. "I never sold my parents' house, which is one of the things they left for me. I think I'd eventually like to move back in there. If you'd want to down the road, that is."

Ben held my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I know how much your parents meant to you, how much they still mean to you. I would love to move in there with you. Plus, it'd save us a lot of money having to buy our own."

I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe.

"And there's that little scrunch," Ben spoke quietly.

I looked at him to find him watching me with a smile.

"I love you Benny boy," I said.

"I love you, Ella Bella."

He leaned over and pressed a kiss to my lips.

"I could get used to this," he said.

Me too, Benny boy. Me too.