Chapter 3

I stared at my reflection. I got dressed, my dress having been picked up from the dry cleaner's by Sumner earlier in the day. She had checked on some of the final details for me, but I still had to go to the venue early to make sure everything looked good and that things were in place. At the moment, though, I was trying to think about what to do with my hair when my phone rang, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Hello?" I answered, not looking at the name.

"Ella, love! It's me," a familiar voice spoke.

"Ben! How are you?"

"I'm good, thanks! Ny told me you two are attending an event tonight. She mentioned you were the planner for it."

"Yep. Will you be there tonight?"

"I'm going to have to skip the party tonight, but I am in town. In fact, I'm just a few minutes from your place. Any chance you'd like me to come over, do your hair and makeup?"

"Ben, how did you know I haven't done my hair or makeup?"

"Oh, please. I remember how you were at the academy. You probably didn't get any better in uni. I'll come by. It'll be a reason to see you as well. You haven't happened to have baked lately, have you?"

I laughed.

"I baked cookies last night," I told him.

"Perfect! I'll be there in a few minutes. See you soon!"

With that, he hung up.

I sighed and walked back to my closet, picking out a pair of tights and some shoes. It was getting chilly, and I wanted to be warm. I picked out a jacket as well and laid the clothes on my bed, knowing I could at least be dressed by the time Ben came.

I slid into my tights and brushed out my hair, unsure of what he would do. I had just finished my skin care routine when I heard a knock at my door. I walked over with a smile on my face.

"Your savior is here," I heard Ben's voice through the door.

I laughed as I answered it.

Before I could speak, I was pulled into a hard chest by a pair of strong arms. Warmth enveloped me as I circled my arms around one of my best friends. Ben held me tightly before he pulled away, holding me at arm's length.

"I love this color on you," he spoke, nodding at the gold that accented my warm skin tone.

"Thank you! Ny picked it out for me, said it would bring out the warmth of my skin, or something like that. I don't remember the whole phrase," I confessed.

Ben laughed as he made his way inside. He slid out of his coat, revealing muscled arms almost straining against his button-down shirt. He was wearing a pair of dark jeans, his emerald eyes sparkling with mischief. I felt the corner of my mouth curve up.

"So, what brings you into my part of town?" I asked.

"I have some new clients I'm working with, and I realized it's been a while since we've seen each other. Thought I would drop by."

I smiled warmly. "I really appreciate that, and I'm glad you came by. I've missed you."

"Ny driving you crazy with her constant visits?"

I nodded as we walked to my bedroom.

"It's probably the holiday nerves. I don't know how she hasn't gone mad from working for her boss. I mean, working for one of the top fashion designers in the world cannot be good for someone's health, and she's his personal assistant."