Chapter 9

"Ny, I don't want to go anywhere this weekend. I've had such a long week that all I want to do is curl up on the couch with a bottle of wine," I stated, exhausted.

"Don't you mean a glass?"

"No, Ny. I mean a bottle. I had some really annoying people to deal with this week, and I seriously don't have the energy to go out. I'm sorry, but you and Vincent are going to have to go without me. Son of a bitch!"

I sighed in exasperation as the bag slipped from my hands as I tried to get my key out of my purse. I wedged the phone between my ear and shoulder, cursing under my breath as I bent to pick up the bag. I managed to unlock the door and straightened up.

"Are you okay?" Naomi asked me on the other end.

"Yeah, just trying to get inside. Look, I'll call you later, okay? I've had a really long day."

"Okay, girl. Get some rest. I want to hear all about your weekend on Monday."

"It won't be much. Have fun with Vin, okay? Tell him I said hello."

I opened my door as I hung up and was confused by all the candles that greeted me. I set everything down and stepped inside. I had locked the door this morning, and the only person who had a key besides me was Naomi. And Naomi was currently at work.

"Hello?" I called out.

I stepped forward, setting my keys down and locking the door behind me. I carefully stepped into my apartment, unsure. There was a path made of petals and candles leading to the kitchen, so I followed them to see a figure waiting for me behind the island. I placed a hand over my chest as I tried to slow my heartbeat.

"You scared the hell out of me," I told him.

"Surprise, love," Ben said.

I grinned widely and jumped into his arms. He caught me, holding me tightly to his chest.

"I missed you," I mumbled.

"I missed you too, Sunshine."

"That's a new one," I said, pulling away.

He winked at me but didn't say anything. He leaned down slowly, kissing me softly and gently. I melted into the kiss and probably would've melted into the ground if Ben hadn't had an arm behind my back to secure me against him.

"Hello," he greeted me in a soft voice.

"Hi," I whispered with a smile.

"Did you like the surprise?"

I nodded and hugged him again, burying my face where his shoulder and chest met.

"You alright Ella?"

I let out a breath. "It's been a really long, really crappy week. I'm glad you're here."

"Tell me all about it over a glass of wine and some food. I grabbed your favorite."

"I love you," I said and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Hey, I have a question for you."

"What's up?"

Ben helped me out of my coat and went to hang it up on the coat rack for me. I saw my favorite cake on the island, and I leaned over to read it.

Will you be my girlfriend?

"Oh, Ben," I whispered, pressing my hands to my mouth.

"I see you've spotted dessert."

I turned around to see him leaning against the wall, a smile playing around his lips.