The Great Tree, Part 3/7

As the gang make their way up the path, Eugene, Lance, Varian, and Ruddiger take up the rear of the group. Lance stops to pick some flowers from a nearby bush, grinning from ear to ear. "You think Adira would like these?"

"Um... Lance, buddy," Eugene says, rubbing the back of his neck. "About this whole Adira thing..." Lance shoves the bouquet in his hands as he continues, "Let me see. How do I put this?" Lance puts more flowers in his arms, making the bouquet bigger. "But have you considered the possibility that maybe, big maybe, Adira might not be into—"

"She's not interested in you at all," Varian finishes matter-of-factly, receiving a warning glance from Eugene.

"Not interested? Of course she is!" Lance says. "Look at me. What's not to love?" He flexes his muscles.

"Well, for one, you might want to think about being a bit more... Uh, how do I say? Honest," Eugene says.

"Me? Not honest?" Lance squeaks. "Name one thing I've done that hasn't been on the up-and-up."

"Well, you took that last apple at breakfast and blamed Max," Eugene replies. "Then you cheated playing Rock, Paper, Scissors. Also you took credit for saving the group from all of the things we've already done right now because you're a big galoot."

"Of course I'm not gonna seem honest if you point out all the times I lie!" Lance says.

"Yeah, honesty kind of means... not lying," Varian says, Ruddiger nodding in agreement.

"Oh, and what would you know about honesty?" Lance retorts.

"Hey! I don't lie... anymore!" Varian shouts.

"Guys, wait!" Eugene says. The three of them stop, the path splitting ahead of them. "Where are the others?"

"Oh no, we're lost!" Lance yells, beginning to panic.

"Hey hey hey, freaking out won't help the situation!" Eugene says. "I'll bet they took this path." He points to the left.

"What makes you think that's the one they took?" Varian asks.

"Because I know Rapunzel," Eugene replies proudly. "And this is the path she would take!"

Varian shakes his head. "But... Adira is leading them, not Rapunzel."

But Eugene doesn't listen, and continues on the path he has chosen. Reluctantly, Varian and Lance follow him.

"Blondie? Cass?" Eugene calls out. They've been walking along the path he picked for a while now, and there is still no sign of the others. "Well, they must have taken the other path..."

As they walk, a strange vine with a bright pink flower at the end drops down, hanging in front of Varian. Ruddiger leans forward to sniff it curiously, but Varian holds him back. "Be careful Ruddiger, we don't know what any of these plants are," he tells his raccoon.