Forest of No Return, Part 2/5

"This doesn't change anything, Eugene," Rapunzel says as the gang load up in the caravan. "You are still the go-to guy out here."

Eugene smiles and caresses Rapunzel's cheek, when a sudden thud! interrupts them. They look up to see that Adira has jumped on top of the caravan. She is sitting cross-legged, pointing across the swamp. "That way!" She announces.

Lance hops up beside her, and stares at her adoringly as she actively ignores him.

Geez, Lance is acting absolutely ridiculous! Varian thinks. But then a thought crosses his mind: Cassandra doesn't think I act that ridiculous when I'm around her, does she?

With a scowl, Eugene drives the horses over the bumpy tree-bridge. "I would've cut these logs so much smoother," he comments. "Look at that shoddy craftsmanship!"

Once they cross over the swamp, Varian hears a strange, rumbling sound. He looks behind them, and a tree that he could have sworn was there no longer is. He begins to worry that there may be more to this forest than any of them realize.

As they travel deeper into the forest, they come across a creepy-looking tree. It appears to have a scary face, and "Forest of No Return" is carved into its trunk. A skeleton clutching a dagger is at the tree's base, obviously the one who carved the sign before his demise.

"That is one scary tree," Shorty says. "Reminds me of my Uncle Mert. He, too, was a scary tree."

Normally, Varian would roll his eyes at Shorty or chuckle at the old man's antics. But right now, the sight before him frightens him too much to react. He doesn't want to admit it to the others, but he is truly terrified of this forest. Something just feels off about it. He pulls his bandana over his face protectively, and sinks lower into his seat.

 He pulls his bandana over his face protectively, and sinks lower into his seat

"Relax Shorty, there's nothing to be afraid of!" Eugene says.

"Tell that to the guy leaning against the tree," Varian remarks, pointing to the skeleton.

Eugene rolls his eyes. "This swamp is just like any other swamp," he says. Suddenly, a noise causes him to pause. "Anyone else hear a buzzing noise?"

Everyone stops to listen, and Pascal grows excited. Believing he can find a tasty bug snack, he flits his tongue into the nearby bushes where the buzzing is originating from. But what his tongue lands on is much bigger than anything he could fit into his tiny mouth...

Emerging out of the bushes comes a gigantic fly, bigger than their heads. It buzzes loudly as it begins to ascend upward, dragging the still-attached Pascal with it.

     "Bugs should not be that big!" Varian shouts fearfully.

     Everyone screams, unsure what to do, but Adira remains calm. She shoots a small dart through a bamboo shoot, hitting the bug and releasing Pascal. The chameleon lands on the caravan safely, and rushes back to Rapunzel.