The Eye of Pincosta, Part 5/6

"We have no chance of beating Marauder, even if we're better fighters. Which we're not," Stalyan says to Rapunzel as they get ready in the tent, her arms folded. "Goodberry will rig the game so we lose. You know that, right?"

"We'll have to take Goodberry at his word," Rapunzel says with a smile as Pascal helps her choose a mask to wear. He picks one that resembles his own face, and squeaks happily. She turns to a mirror and ties the mask on.

"Oh, you have so much to learn about the world, Princess..." Stalyan says, standing behind Rapunzel.

"Wait a minute," Varian says defensively. "Just because she hopes for the best from people, doesn't mean she's naive!" And he means it. If Rapunzel hadn't hoped for the best from him, he would be rotting away in a jail cell right now.

"Yeah, about that..." Stalyan says with a wicked smirk. She leans forward and locks handcuffs around Rapunzel's wrists, chaining her to a post.

"Hey! What?" Rapunzel says as Pascal gasps.

Varian reaches for his sword, but is shocked to discover it isn't there. Stalyan must've taken it when I wasn't paying attention! He realizes. So instead he pulls out a pouch with sparkling dust inside, and rushes at Stalyan. But before he can use it on her, she kicks it out of his hand and the contents land all over him instead. He falls to the ground, his eyes suddenly feeling heavy.

 He falls to the ground, his eyes suddenly feeling heavy

"Varian!" Rapunzel says worriedly.

"Don't worry Rapunzel," Varian tells her weakly. "It's just a sleeping dust I created... to help with... insomn—" He dozes off before he can finish his sentence.

     With Varian out, Pascal leaps at Stalyan, but she catches him in a small bag and ties up the opening. "Sorry I can't stick around for the fight," she says with a chuckle. She walks around to face Rapunzel, and holds out the Eye of Pincosta in front of the princess. "I think Goodberry's gonna be sore when he finds this missing." She then drops the bag containing Pascal in Rapunzel's lap. "Your froggy."

As Stalyan turns to leave the tent, Rapunzel shakes her head. "You're going to free Eugene and try to win him back, aren't you?"

Stalyan grins. "A thief belongs with a thief. I told you you were a bad judge of character, Princess." She is about to leave, when she glances at Varian still asleep on the ground. She scoops him up, and hauls him over her shoulder. "And I'm taking this one with me, so he can't help you escape." At that, she leaves a helpless Rapunzel and Pascal behind.

" At that, she leaves a helpless Rapunzel and Pascal behind