Happiness Is... Part 4/6

Just as Varian suspected, Rapunzel intended to keep the idol for herself. She runs through the sand, clutching her purse eagerly as she laughs. "Suckers! They fell for the oldest trick in the book, eh Pascal?"

     The chameleon on her shoulder looks absolutely terrified. Varian realizes that Pascal never actually touched the statue himself, so he couldn't possibly understand the happiness it brings.

All of a sudden, Ruddiger —someone else who has not touched the idol— comes up behind him. Varian drops his sword to the ground with surprise. "What are you doing here?" He asks, sounding irritated.

Ruddiger chitters with concern, and Varian rolls his eyes. "You didn't have to come after me, Ruddiger. I'm just fine!"

Ruddiger folds his front legs like arms, glaring at Varian.

"Hey, do not judge me! You didn't even touch the idol. You just don't get it!" Varian shouts. But then he remembers that he is following Rapunzel, and needs to remain quiet. He lowers his voice as he tells Ruddiger, "Just go back to the beach with the others. I have to get that idol. I have to see my father again!" He turns to head after Rapunzel again, but Ruddiger still follows him.

     As Varian picks up his sword and continues to trail after Rapunzel, he begins looking for an opportunity to take the statue from her. She runs deeper and deeper into the island's foliage, and finally stops amidst a thick grove of trees. Pascal squeaks at her with concern.

     "Don't give me that look," Rapunzel says. "I mean, yeah, sure, I could get rid of the idol, but why? So I can be sad again? What is so wrong with something that makes me happy?!" She removes Pascal from her shoulder and holds him in her hands. "Is that what you want? Huh? You want me to be miserable for the rest of my life?"

     Pascal shakes his head nervously.

     "Good. Now, speaking of the idol..." She pulls it out of her purse, and it and her eyes again glow green. She gasps excitedly at what she sees. "Old Lady Crowley! Hi, is that a new dress?! It isn't, really? Because it looks new." She is so absorbed in her vision, and Varian is so focused on finding the right moment to snatch the statue, that neither of them notice Ruddiger gesture to Pascal to go get help. The chameleon hops down and runs off, while Ruddiger stays to keep an eye on the situation.

     "Oh, what's new Friedborg?" Rapunzel continues. "You're looking wonderful."

     She's distracted, Varian thinks as he slowly sneaks out of the bushes and towards Rapunzel. Now would be the perfect time to—

     "Sweet Goginslpotz!" He hears a voice say, stopping him in his tracks. He looks down to see that Pascal has returned, followed by about five Lorbs, including their leader Alfons.

     "Stay back!" Varian warns, holding up his sword. "That statue is mine!"

 "That statue is mine!"