The Great Tree, Part 2/7

Having survived their fall, the gang continue making their way toward the Great Tree on foot.

"Two years ago, I'd call fighting jackal monsters on the back of a speeding carriage whilst a rhinoceros chases the woman I love absolutely bonkers," Eugene says, nudging Rapunzel playfully. "Now I call it Tuesday." Pascal nods in agreement.

     "They're binturongs, not jackals," Varian corrects.

     "Who cares what they're called? They coulda killed us!" Hook Foot says

Arriving at the base of the tree, they gaze at the entrance to the hollowed roots. Its large columns put Varian in mind of the entrance to a temple.

"Time to get some answers," Cassandra says.

Varian couldn't agree more. He glances over at Lance, who is attempting to chat Adira up —unsuccessfully— as she sits on the ground polishing her sword. She completely ignores him, sheathes her sword, then stands up and begins to walk away.

"Adira, wait!" Rapunzel says, stopping her. "Who was that man that attacked us?"

"And don't give us any of your cryptic runaround talk," Cassandra adds, her hand on her hip.

Varian comes up next to the girls, eager to hear what Adira has to say.

"His name is Hector," Adira explains. She then turns to Cassandra and adds, "And I don't think I appreciate your tone."

"Oh! I'm sorry I gave you the impression I care about the things you appreciate," Cassandra says sarcastically.

Ouch, Varian thinks as Rapunzel reaches out to Cassandra.

"Alright, alright!" The princess says to Cass. She turns back to Adira as Cassandra continues to glare. "Who is Hector?"

"He's a member of... the Brotherhood," Adira replies.

"Wait... What did you say?" Varian cuts in, unable to believe his ears. Could this really be happening? Is he actually about to get answers to the questions that have been racing through his mind ever since the Spire?