Waist Deep

IN JUNE'S CAR, I slam my hands against the steering wheel

IN JUNE'S CAR, I slam my hands against the steering wheel. Then I hit it again. And again. And again. I hit it until my hands are numb, and the panicked knot in my chest doesn't bother me as much.

Then I slump back in the chair, my eyes drifting shut.

"Don't be such a pansy," Dan said.

We were at the edge of the river, the water swirling by us in a furious flurry. We were fifteen and just starting to experiment with rebelliousness, but this pushed it too far. No way were we going to be able to wade into that water, let alone swim.

"I'm not a pansy," I huffed, glaring at my twin, "I just don't have a death wish."

"Oh, come on, it'll be fine. You're a strong swimmer."

"People die from drowning in the river!" I eyed the swirling water nervously. 

"This is the dare," Dan smirked with his arms crossed. "We go in until we're waist-deep, then we get out. No swimming, no fuss."

"No fuss," I breathe, although it does little to alleviate the stress.

I feel like I'm in the river now, caught up in its current. I chickened out then, stayed on the bank while Dan bravely waded his way through the water until he was waist-deep. Nothing happened then, despite my greatest fear of him being swept up by the current. I told myself that nothing was going to happen now. Things will be okay. Atlas, Sam, June. They'll all survive, and Jason will get what he deserves. I'll make it to shore just as Dan had done, or I'll drown.

Drowning feels like the more likely outcome.

I pull out my phone, wincing when I see the thirteen text messages and phone calls from both Professor Langdon and Desiree. I've been skipping out on the piano sessions, and while I imagined Langdon to give up on me, she's been persistent.

Right now, the piano doesn't seem all that important. My life and those I care for that's more important.

I hit Desiree's name, press the phone to my ear, and rest my forehead against the steering wheel. She picks up on the second ring.

"Don't you know how to answer your phone?" she snaps. Her tone is so frantic that I manage a tired laugh.

"I'm sorry, things have...escalated."

"Yeah, no shit. Rin told me from her grapevine that Jason is planning on going after you, for real this time."

"I know. He's at the hospital right now." Holding Atlas at gunpoint. I squeeze my eyes shut.

A string of curses erupted from the other end of the phone. I pull my phone away from my ear as Desiree's assault continues.

"You good?" I ask, trying to keep my voice light.