And Yet, Here You Are

POPS IS A rundown, cheap restaurant in the heart of the city

POPS IS A rundown, cheap restaurant in the heart of the city. Admittedly, it did attract a more unsavoury crowd, but I've been going there since I started high school, and I'm still standing. I guess I should also add that it's where I had my first encounter with drugs. I hear June's nagging voice in the back of my mind, but I push it away. Despite all the bad, I still like the place.

I slip into a booth near the back and fold my arms on the table as a waitress comes by and plops the menu in front of me, followed by a glass of water. I don't even have to look at the menu that I slide back to her.

"Do you need a minute?" she asks, and I shake my head.

"Nope, just some coffee."

"Sure thing." She collects the menu again and moves off to the kitchen.

It's a little late for coffee, but if I'm going out to a party, I need a pick-me-up—something to keep me alert.

As the waitress returns with my coffee, the door swings open, and I look up to see my friend saunter in. His limbs make him look long and awkward, but his features are striking in a way that is envious, aside from the obvious signs of drug use which lines his sunken cheeks and heavy bruising under his gold-flecked hazel eyes. Those eyes meet mine, and his lips quirk crookedly at me.

Dan. 

I haven't seen him that much since that night, but he still looks the same. That same natural charm and casual appearance. Only when I laid eyes on him again did I realize how much I actually missed him. 

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't harbour a small crush on him. We were as thick as thieves, and even though he feeds into my problems, we were rarely far apart from each other for long. Except for this stint. It could be the crush, could be that he gives me a sense of freedom, I don't know. All I know is that when I see him, everything is instantly better. Even if he is shifty and he scratches his arm absently.

"Long time no see, A," he says, sliding into the booth across from me.

"Hey, Dan," I smile back, hiding my shyness. 

He squints at me. It's the same look that makes me feel like he can see right into the corners of my soul. He's brilliant, way too smart for his own good. So, it's not that big of stretch to think he might have superpowers. Superpowers that need to be self-medicated anyway.

"You look really good," he grins, "like you didn't just almost die."

I let out a scoff and sip my coffee, mostly to hide my wince. He was the one who found me, the one who called the ambulance, though he didn't stick around to make sure I got to the hospital alright. After that, he blipped out of my life, until now.

"I'm better, but only just... My sister has me on lock down, so I really have no choice but to toe the line." 

"And yet, here you are. Always a rebel without a cause."