The Cliff

It was 09:50 am, I was already late for the office. I didn't feel like going to the office, but I have no choice. I took the shower and dressed up. Took my bag without even combing my hair.

I locked the house and went down the building. It wasn't the same good day for me anymore. I was feeling heavy inside so couldn't find any positivity around me.

I didn't want to listen to music while walking towards my office. My whole world was lost. I have heard that if the bad time comes, it will take you from left, right and centre. I was feeling the same right now. I was being screwed left, right and centre.

"Good morning Isha mam" The security guard had greeted me while I was passing through him and moving towards the escalator of the building. I was lost in my thoughts that I didn't reply to his greetings. I went straight to the building waiting for the lift to come and pick me up. I was behaving abnormally like my body was there but I wasn't present there.

I press the number 22 with no excitement. I was waiting for the doors to close so that I can close my eyes as well and lost again in my thoughts. Suddenly, the guy sneaked into the escalator.

He was the same guy from that architect's office on the 19th floor. I haven't had seen him since the last few days I guess. Where the guy was? He must be on some assignments or on a business tour.

He looked at me and smiled, but I didn't bother much about him and closed my eyes again leaning towards the wall of the escalator. He was standing exactly on the opposite side of me. He pressed the number 19, where his office was located.

I woke up with the jerk of the escalator as it stopped on the 19th floor, and saw him standing in front of me. He smiled again, but I was not in a mood to reciprocate. He turned himself after not getting a response from me and started moving towards the doors of the escalator. He went off the escalator and again turned back perhaps to see my reaction, but I was actionless.

The doors of the escalator closed and it moved my dead body to the destination. It stopped on floor 22. It was my turn to get off the escalator, but I didn't felt like going to the office. I didn't move an inch for a while. The doors of the escalator closed by itself.

I was feeling suffocated, so I thought of going to the terrace and take the fresh air. I press the topmost button on the dashboard of the escalator. I was moving upwards to the terrace.

I get off the escalator and started walking towards the terrace. It was a sunny day and being on the top height, I was feeling fresh air that touched my chicks. I was feeling good, but that feeling was only for a few seconds. My mind was still occupied with all the thoughts and things that had happened to me.

Should I jump from here and finish everything? Why should I? Why should I don't? What is left in my life? Everything was finished. I had no reason to live my life. I was contemplating the idea of jumping from the terrace of my office building.

With all my courage, I stood on the edge of the terrace wall. My legs were shaking as I inched closer to the edge of the cliff. I took in a deep breath of fresh air. My eyes were closed and my hands were trembling by my side as I step closer and closer to the end of the cliff.

I opened the eyes to stared down and saw the cement roads beneath me. My heart was pumping high and exhaling loads of carbon dioxide. If I jumped from the cliff right now, I would surely die before I hit the ground. But wasn't that I was wanting? To die quickly without any pain. I was talking to myself.

I just wanted to get rid from this hell-like life. I don't want to live here among these people who think I was the culprit.

I took another step and moved closer to the end; feeling like my breath was stopped. Tears started flowing from my eyes rolling on my cheeks. I closed my eyes again and I was about to jump from the cliff, suddenly I felt a jerk and I found myself on the terrace floor as I opened my eyes. Noticing I was now thrown away from the cliff.