PART TWO 36. Amnesia

Harry's POV

"Who's Harry?" Bea asks, after her mom asks if it's okay for me to be here. We didn't know if me being here would be too upsetting for her so soon after waking up, but I begged to see her.

I had just needed to see her with her eyes open. Her mouth making words and hearing her talk. Never had I ever imagined that when she woke up she wouldn't know who I was.

Would look at me like I was a complete stranger.

   My heart feels like it stops mid beat, and my whole body goes ice cold. Because this can't be real.

   There's no way Bea can't remember me. Not after everything. Not after falling in love and all that we were to each other. Something like that just can't happen.

   I feel her eyes assessing me as I literally have to fall back against the wall for support, my legs unable to hold me up after hearing her ask that question.

    "Bea.." Doctor Adams starts softly. "How old are you?"

    "Thirteen?" She asks everyone, and seems to look to make sure she said the right answer.

    We all glance at each other in nervousness and shock.

   "And what grade do you think you're in?"

   "Eighth."

   "Hmm," Doctor Adams says and scratches his head thoughtfully. "Let me go grab a couple of things and I'll be right back."

   He quickly leaves the room and we're all left standing in the loudest silence I've ever experienced before.

   "What?" She asks. "Is that not right? Why is everyone looking at me like that?"

   "No, it's not right. You're fifteen, Bea. And you have been for over two months now." Shannon tells her when everyone else wasn't answering her. "You're in high school, with me."

    "High school?" She says the words like they're foreign to her. "I don't remember any of that."

    "How did you know it was November?" Her mom asks.

   Bea points to the board on the wall behind us all that has her nurses name wrote down and the date, wrote in big black letters.

   "You knew who Stone was?" Shannon asks.

    Bea looks at her in confusion. "He's Stone Jameson? Is that any girl that doesn't know him?" Her face falls when she realizes what she said. "Or they did."

   "Let's just wait and see what the doctor says, okay?" Shannon says, and pats Bea's hand gently before holding it between hers.

   Where was this soft, affectionate side of Shannon earlier? Does it take her sister nearly being killed and her seeing her body to realize how she's supposed to treat the people she loves and that love her?

    "Maybe I should go.." I say, and lean up off the wall. My body and brain are both telling me to bolt, that this is too much for me right now and I need to let Bea and her family figure this out. I don't need to make things any worse or more confusing for her.

    "You can stay, Harry." Mrs. Marks reassures me. "You don't have to go. As long as Bea doesn't mind, we don't either."

    "Who are you, anyway?" Bea asks softly. "Maybe learning something new will keep me from having a panic attack right now." Her soft laugh pulls at my chest.

    "Are you feeling anxious?" Shannon asks.

    Bea shakes her head gently, I'm sure still feeling the after effects of all her injuries. "Not near as much as I would have expected to feel, honestly."