10. Feelings

Harry's POV

    "You're leaving us again?" My mom asks, watching me stuff my pockets full of things that I'll need for the day.

     "Ma, I'm not leaving you. I'm going to hang out at a friends house." I have this argument with my mom anytime I leave the house to go anywhere.

     "And she's a Towney. I just know it by the way you've been acting." She accuses.

    "And how's that Ma? How am I acting? Cause to me, I'm the same I've always been. Come home, clean up whatever mess you leave, make dinner for me and Gemma and wonder when the hell you're going to stumble back through the door and who you're going to have with you."

    My moms eyes well with tears, but this is what she always does. I stopped feeling guilty for telling the truth a long time ago. "Why do you talk to me like that? What have I ever done to you?

    I sigh in frustration, trying hard not to fall into this. "Nothing, Ma. Nothing."

    Gemma walks out of her room at the sound of our raised voices and looks at our mom with resentment. "Exactly what Harry said. Fucking nothing, that's what you've done for us."

    Ma jumps up off the couch in anger. "I put this roof over your head, didn't I? I keep groceries in the fridge and clothes on your back, too!"

    Gemma laughs in her face. "You haven't done a damn thing for us in years! Harry is the one who keeps up with the bills and groceries! If it wasn't for him, we would probably be living on the streets somewhere."

     Now Ma really starts crying. "That's not true and you know it! I'd never let anything happen to you two. You're all I have left."

    "That's because you run everyone else off or bring back men who you know aren't going to stay!" Gemma screams, actually shoving our mom this time. "How many fights have Harry been in because of the company you like to keep? How many men has he caught trying to sneak into my bedroom at night? How many times has he carried safely back to your bed, when you're passed out somewhere and would have no idea if this place was going up in flames?"

     "Why do you hate me?!" Ma yells back.

     "Because you're worthless, and you're no fucking mother of mine." Gemma snaps, walking away from our Ma and towards the door. "I'll be home later tonight Harry, I'll text you."

    "Be safe." Is all I say back, knowing this kind of thing has to happen every once in a while; otherwise Gemma would implode with anger.

    "How can you allow her to speak to me that way?" Ma asks, like I'm the parent and not her.

    "She said what she's feeling, nothing wrong about that."

"But it's not true, Har-"

"I'm not in the mood to hear it, Ma. I have things to do. I'll see you later." I walk out the door with her still ranting behind me.

My drive to the Marks house doesn't take long, and I debate if I should bring the gift out that I got for Bea or give it to her later.

I end up leaving it in the car and deciding to give it to Bea later tonight if I possibly see her alone. It's not much, but I couldn't help myself. When I saw it this morning it made me think of her, and I couldn't leave without it.