Chapter 12 - Flying over to Phil

For once, I woke up before my alarm rang. Maybe it was because Phil was sat in the front of my cluttered mind. I whipped the covers off of me and leapt out of bed. Then I followed the plan I had prepared the night before: I slipped on the clothes, black like usual, I had put out in advance. I dragged the suitcase out of my room and put it by the front door. I grabbed the last strawberries from the fridge as a quick breakfast, grabbed the last things I needed and left the apartment.
Nerves and excitement rushed through my blood as I drove to the airport. The whole way there I fidgeted. I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel, jiggled around in the car seat and constantly changed the radio station that was playing. I couldn't stay still. My stomach felt like it had goosebumps inside of it like my arms did. Even though it wasn't the coldest of days and I had a warm leather jacket on over my long sleeved black shirt, I couldn't stop shivering occasionally.
I parked in the long stay car park and it was fairly quiet compared to some days. As I got out the car, the slight chill of the winter air slid through my layers and hit my skin. It felt colder now. I slammed my door closed, slipped my rucksack over my shoulder and opened the car boot to get my suitcase out. The wheels of suitcase hit the concrete ground and I jumped. Straight after, I exhaled. It was the moment I realised I'm alone on this. It was going to be my first time on plane and I was doing it alone.
I dragged my suitcase to the terminal and checked in. I was early for once. Early without the help of Phil.
The lady behind the check-in counter smiled as my suitcase was taken to wherever it went. I hesitated.
"Uh...sorry, but where do I got next? I've never flown before" I mumbled.
"If you go down there," she pointed to my right. "Then turn right, you'll see an area called security check. If you go though there, you'll get your bags scanned," she gestured.
"Thank you," I replied.
"No problem! Have a nice flight!" She grinned and swept her blonde fringe out of her face.
I followed her directions and ended up in the security check. I walked through the entrance and dumped my bag into a tray. I only knew what to do as there was enough people in front of me to see what I had to do. I thought I was doing all right in my opinion but apparently I wasn't, according to one of the security workers.
"Belt and shoes please, sir" he said in a deep tone.
I slid my converse and belt off and put them in the tray too.
"Any laptops, phones or tablets in your bag, sir?" He asked again in the same tone.
I nodded.
"Please could you take them out and put them in a separate tray, sir."
I nodded and took out my iPad, phone and laptop and put them in a separate tray.
"This way, sir" he gestured to a tall, grey rectangle which people, one by one, were walking though.
I followed through, grabbed my belt and shoes and then put them on, feeling almost naked without them. Then, I stuffed my laptop, phone and iPad back into my back and slung it over my shoulder. I escaped as quick as possible.
The other side had shops on every side of the terminal. It was like walking through a wardrobe to Narnia. From a dull airport terminal to a bright burst of colourful shops.
I stepped to the side as I heard a lady behind huffing and puffing and I guessed I was being an obstacle. I wasn't sure what to do. I still had an hour before I could board. It only left me to browse the shops for an hour.
I didn't end up buying anything and decided after half an hour it was far to crowded inside such small shops that I should go an wait by my gate to the plane. Frantically, I looked around for gate 2. I saw a corridor leading to all gates and took it from there.

Waiting was painful. Large glass windows allowed you to see the planes and people boarding them and the luggage being taken on and off. It was the only interesting thing that was happening.
"Passengers boarding from gate 2 can begin to board the plane," a woman called out and a bunch of people got up from their seats and moved themselves towards the woman. I followed behind, watching every move people made.
I swung my rucksack in front of my chest so I could scramble thought it to try and find my passport and ticket. I felt like such an awkward mess doing it.
The woman held out her hand for the ticket and passport and made me feel more uncomfortable than I already did. She tore part of the ticket off, handed it back to me and stuck out her hand for the next person. I organised my rucksack and swung it back around to my back.

I tried to get comfy on the plane seats but they had to be the most uncomfortable seats you could get. I would have been happier sitting on a cactus. Or Phil's lap. I would be far happier sitting on Phil's lap. I grinned at the thought.
I closed my eyes and imagined Phil. I highly disliked the fact we couldn't use phones on the plane. What if the plane was crashing and I wanted to phone Phil up as quick as possible and tell him how much I loved him. Bad thoughts. I went back to the image of Phil. Phil's dark hair and his blue eyes. It was a perfect thing to fall asleep thinking about.