Chapter 5 - Gaming with Phil

Not long after, Phil and I were capering around in his kitchen, squirting whipped cream at each other. Knowing Phil owned three cans of whipped cream made me positive that living with him was the right thing.
"No fair!" Phil squeaked like a guinea pig. "Mines run out!" He lunged to the fridge but I jumped between the fridge and him and squirted cream directly in his face. He opened his mouth wide and began to collect the cream. The cream was filled his mouth and he choked out a laugh. Snatching the can, he squirted cream on my nose and then three lines on both cheeks.
"The cat whiskers come from within," I said and Phil replied with a nod. "I'm nearly done unpacking. Go and set Mario Kart or something up and I'll join you in a second."
Phil headed into the living room and went to my room. I stacked my clothes in a pile by the radiator, creating a nice pile of darkness.
"Phil, I need a wardrobe!" I yelled at him.
"Uh-huh. We'll get one this weekend," he yelled back.
For now, I was quite happy with my pile of depressing fabric.
I entered the living room to see Phil sat close to his TV and placing a disk into his wii.
"How'd you know I had Mario kart, anyway?" He asked, looking up to me.
"Who doesn't?" I grinned and shrugged. Phil threw me a Wii remote and I collapsed onto the sofa behind.
We spent the next two hours of our lives with our shoulders bashing into each other and our hands gripping tightly to a plastic steering wheel. There was laughs, there was screams and there was a little bit of swearing from me.
There was a funny noise that came from underneath me. From inside the sofa, to be exact. Phil laughed.
"That's the sofa springs," he said, his concentration still on the screen. "It does it all the time. I'll fix it later...Yes!" He yelled and threw his arms up in the air with the plastic wheel still in one hand.
I looked up to the screen where the results of the race were displayed and saw Phil's name at the top. I grinned.
It had been years since I'd played any kind of video game with someone. It made me realise how much I was much I was missing out on in the small moments in life. It made me realise that being with my family did not make me happy - but being with Phil did.