Chapter 26 Tall tale

Sam is sat on his bed rubbing his eyes tiredly, he looks at Shay who is watching tv series on his Ipad and smiles slightly. He looks at Dean who sits beside Shay eating cheesy fries and Sam shakes head annoyed "Dude do you mind not eating those on my bed?"

"How is research going?" asked Dean

"You know how it's going? Slow. You know how it would go a heck of a lot faster? If I had my computer" explained Sam "can you turn the music down please?"

Dean nods "yeah absolutely" he says smirking and turns it up and sits Shay on his lap and smiles "oh so we are watching the tweenies nice pick kiddo"

"You know what? Maybe, uh, maybe you should just go somewhere for a while" answered Sam "maybe take Shay with you so I can concentrate"

Dean turns the radio of and looks at Sam pissed "Hey, I'd love to. That's a great idea. Unfortunately, my car's all screwed to hell" he replies and gets of the bed and picks Shay up

"Dean I told you, I have nothing to do wi" said Sam

He's cut off by a loud knock on the door. Sam stands and goes to the door; he looks through the peephole and then back at Dean, then opens the door. Outside is Bobby.

"Hey Bobby" answered Sam

"Hey Boys" said Bobby "it's good to see you guys again so soon. How about you tell me what happened?"

Sam nods and says "So, it all started when we caught wind of an obit. See, a professor took a nosedive from a fourth story window, only there's a campus legend that the building's haunted. So we pretexted as reporters from the local paper"

Flashbacks

SAM is sitting at a table with a stocky jock boy Curtis and an attractive girl Jen he sets a voice recorder down on the table.

"Yeah we both had the Professor" explained Curtis

"So why did you think he did it?" asked Sam

Jen looks at Curtis then back at Sam "Who knows? I mean, he was tenured, wife and kids. His book is like a really big deal. Then again..." she leans in conspiratorially "Who's to say it was suicide?. There is a tale" she starts explaining "Thirty years ago, this girl was having an affair with some professor. He broke it off, she jumped out the window and killed herself"

"You know the girl's name?" asked Sam

"No. But they say she jumped from room six-six-nine. Get it? You turn the nine upside down? So now she haunts the building. And anyone who sees her? They don't live to tell the tale" explained Jen

"Well if no one lives to tell the tale, then how does the tale get told?" Curtis laughed

"Thanks a lot guys, erm excuse me" replied Sam

Elsewhere, in the bar, close in on three shot glasses filled with dark bluish-purple liquid. Dean's hand slides into frame and takes one; he slams all three in succession and looks at Shay who watches. Sam approaches.

"Dean, Dean, what are you drinking?" asked Sam

Dean burps and looks at Sam "I don't know man I think they are called purple nurples"

"Okay, well listen. I think maybe we should go check out the professor's office" answered Sam

"Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no I can't right now, I've got some feisty little wildcat on the hook, I'm about to – zzzzp – reel her in. I'll introduce you" explained Dean

"Daddy uncle Dean drunk" said Shay

"Starla! Starla, hey. This is my shuttle co-pilot Major Tom. Major Tom, Starla" replied Dean "hey Shay shush quiet grownup time"