16. Outrage and Anger

Start from the beginning

"A chance? A chance to what exactly?" Severus´ voice was dangerously low now, and I felt rather than saw him approach me as I tried to find the right words.

"A chance to be with me...." I whispered brokenly.

Silence.

That´s what settled over us as I saw him pale visibly, his eyes searching my face for something, any indication that I was lying.

"You mean....as in a relationship?" Severus sounded so confuesd, like a little kid trying to understand things older people talked about. As if what I was saying didn´t make any sense. And, perhaps, in his mind, they didn´t.

A silent nod was all I could muster.

"You-you are attracted to that blood-sucking, arrogant monster?" Severus gritted, clearly thinking I was out of my fucking mind.

"Why is it any of your fucking buisness who I find myself attracted to?!"  I snarled at him, my fits clenching and my body shaking with the pent-up anger.

Severus passed a hand through his hair, clearly frustrated.

"You´re truly pathetic Aurora, if you think I give a damn who you care about" he brought out as he took another step in my direction "I was just...suprised at how desperate you must be, choosing to become a common blood-whore to a vampire like Alexander"

"I´m not desperate!" I hissed "And you know nothing about Alexander"

His proximity was becoming slightly too close for my comfort, and I felt my breath starting to accelerate. I tried to calm myself down, refusing to show Severus how much he affected me by nearly being close to me.

"Oh really? He´s vampire royalty, which makes him a lot older than you, Aruora. He was bred to lead, and his reputation preceeds him. He´s ruthless, Aurora. Men like him don´t care about women except for getting what they want. He´s using you, Aurora, can´t you see?" Severus now sounded almost pleading, and that was more shocking than anything else.

"That´s not true, Severus" I said with determination. But who was I trying to convince? Him or me? I truly didn´t know "Alexander really cares about me. He thinks of us as equals. He really does..."

"If you truly believe that, you´re even more stupid than I thought Aurora" Severus said, his voice dripping with disdain "How can someone with your life experience trust someone so obviously dark and ruthless?"

Something in his voice told me that maybe, just maybe, he wasn´t soley talking about Alexander anymore. And the smallest part of me wondered what that meant.

"I trusted you, didn´t I?" I whispered brokenly, my eyes rising to meet his, the supplication clear in my voice. Why I said that, I didn´t know. But I couldn´t seem to help myself.

He stilled.

"Well that was a mistake" He said, the finality to his voice cutting me like a knife "Just like it was a mistake for me to ivolve myself in matters concerning you"

That stung. My mind subconciously realized that he had said-not in so many words, but still-that he had gotten involved with me. Which, of course, in a way, he had. And that, apparently, he regretted doing so.

"Maybe you should have realized that before you saved my life last year" I said softly "Maybe you should have just let me die"

I didn´t mean it to sound so mean. I really didn´t. It was just that I couldn´t help from making a comment that I knew would rub him the wrong way. I knew Severus, and I also knew that when he had saved my life he had meant it. It had been a subconcious fear of mine that he ghad actually done it out of obligation, but I had come to realize that that probably wasn´t the case. He was my soulmate, after all. His feelings for me might have been nothing more than lust and attractionat the time, but maybe it was something else entirely. Besides, I didn´t think that Severus was the kind of guy to just let someone die while he stood by watching....doing nothing.