40. A Mother's Love

Hey there everybody! I know, I know, It's been forever since my last update (more than six months, I believe). But I needed some time to figure things out with school. Now that everything has quieted down, I figured I owed it to all the readers out there to at least finish this book. So this is me, updating the last chapter. 

A great thank you to @UniGal1995   for putting up with me and helping me write this final chapter. Couldn't have done it without her :)

And to everyone who's supported and encouraged me: a million times thank you, you're the reason I feel inspired to write more. You know who you are.

********************************************************************************************************* 

Holding my baby girl in my arms I could feel Alexander's gaze lingering one me, and I knew I owed him an explanation.

"How are you doing, Aurora?" he finally asked me, and I realized then how I must have looked: tired, pale, covered in a sheen of sweat, hair plastered to my face and neck, blood soaking the bedsheets beneath me....

"I'm.... Okay, I think" I said, eyes swiveling around the room and coming to rest on Henry, who'd examined me right after delivering my baby.

"Aurora and the baby are both doing fine. There was some bleeding, but that's stopped now, and the baby is completely healthy-as far as my humble muggle medical skills can tell" he added, giving me a reassuring smile.

"Thank you, Henry. I couldn't have done this without your help. I owe you the life of me and my child" I said, trying to convey the overwhelming gratitude I was feeling.

"Don't worry about it, Aurora. You know I'd have done it regardless. Anything for a dear friend" he said, shrugging sheepishly at my words, brushing the nape of his neck with his hands, ears turning a faint shade of red. 

I nodded, turning my attention from Henry to my daughter, who made a little gurgling sound and raised a hand curled into a tiny fist "I'm glad you're here, Alexander" I said quietly "I know this can't have been easy for you"

"Well you could have started with telling me in person about your pregnancy, rather than than writing me a damn letter..." he muttered, but there wasn't real anger in his voice, just resignation as he watched my baby girl gurgle and sputter.

"I'm sorry it had to be that way. I was short on time and needed to figure some things out. With how fast this pregnancy progressed, I had no way of knowing how things worked out...." I started, before shaking my head "Anyways.....would you like to hold her?"

Alexander looked like he'd seen water burning, eyes darting from the tiny bundle in my arms to my questioning expression.

".....Are you sure?" he finally said, obviously not certain about the whole thing.

"Yeah, I am" I told him "There's a few healing spells I want to try to see if I can get out of this bed without feeling like my womb is trying to turn itself inside out, and I can't do that with Amara in my arms...."

Alexander blinked, once, twice, and then nodded, a look of caution and subsequent disbelief coming to his face as I handed him my daughter. He held her awkwardly, the tiny bundle resting in the crook of his arm as he gazed down into the face of my newborn baby girl, who was looking back at him intently.

"Amara?" he asked, looking up at me briefly before returning his stare to the baby in his arms, and making a soft cooing sound with a tenderness that surprised me.