Lucia and Tom walked out of the common room, and Lucia couldn't help but look at his strangely different appearance.

He looked back with a quirked eyebrow at her expression.

"I'm sorry... it's just you look so different to usual, but like... really weirdly the same as well." She laughed, "It's going to take some getting used to."

"Trust me, if it wasn't absolutely necessary I wouldn't do it." Tom chuckled, running his hand through his hair to tame it as much as possible before seeing the Headmistress.

"You're right, it is very necessary considering... you have a rather memorable face." Lucia acknowledged, imagining the look on some of the professors faces if they saw this particular student they'd taught all those years ago.

When they arrived at the Headmistress' office, Lucia thought for a moment whether it was possible to knock on the stone due to her lack of knowledge of the password.

"Quaffle." Tom spoke to the gargoyle from behind Lucia, "She put the password on the enrolment confirmation." He added, seeing Lucia's surprised expression.

The circular stone staircase was revealed, and they both stepped on as it twisted up to the office above. The two entered the large circular room to find Professor McGonagall sitting at her desk, a quill held delicately in her slender fingers as it scratched rhythmically across a piece of parchment in front of her.

"Ah, Mr. Rosier. I must say I was expecting a bit more punctuality on your behalf, I was under the impression you'd be here before the feast." The grey-haired professor spoke sternly as she rose her gaze from the parchment in front of her to meet the two figures standing in the doorway.

"My apologies, Professor. I met an old friend and lost track of time. I hope I haven't disrupted your schedule too much." He smiled in a way that Lucia could see had devious undertones, yet appeared incredibly charming at first glance.

"Well you're here now." She sighed, standing up from her desk, "I see you have brought your friend, good evening Miss Cohen."

"Good evening Professor." Lucia smiled awkwardly, not familiar with talking to the Headmistress directly, aside from the many times she'd been in trouble, such as for sneaking out to Hogsmeade during the night or being caught smoking and drinking at the Astronomy Tower.

"We'll sort you into a house, and then we can discuss the classes you'll be taking." McGonagall explained, walking over to the stool beside the portrait of Albus Dumbledore, the grimy-looking Sorting Hat sitting on top of the small wooden stool.

Dumbledore was silent in his portrait, but his eyes were fixed on Tom in a curious and concentrated manner. As Tom sat on the stool, McGonagall placed the hat over his head, despite its grumbling about having already sorted all the first-years at the sorting ceremony.

"This is rather odd," The hat spoke quietly in Tom's ear so that only he could hear its commentary, "This mind I've seen before. Tom Riddle, now this is one of the easiest sortings I've had to do; just as ambitious, cunning and resourceful as you were all those years ago, destined to be a great leader, of course it will be... SLYTHERIN" It yelled loud enough for Lucia and McGonagall to hear.

He raised the hat from his head with a carefully emotionless expression as he stood up, and placed it gently back on the chair.

"Very well." The headmistress commented slightly distastefully, " I assume you've completed O.W.L.s or an equivalent at your previous school? Due to your last-minute enrolment, there wasn't a lot of space, so I've just slotted you into the classes with availabilities." She told Tom, handing a timetable to him. She began explaining to him the different classes he'd been assigned to.

Lucia zoned out a bit, her eyes wandering across the many portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, and over to the many windows spectacularly overlooking the grounds. She didn't often get to observe her surroundings if she was ever in this office, as she was usually getting a stern talking to that she wouldn't dare let her eyes wander during.

Her eyes found the portrait of Dumbledore again, who she found was staring blankly at her now. She narrowed her eyes to confirm he was actually looking at her, and he gave her a surprising wink before diverting his eyes back to McGonagall who was still explaining the classes to Tom.

"That will be all, Mr. Rosier." McGonagall finally concluded, "I'm sure Miss Cohen can direct you to the dungeons and the Slytherin common room, without any diversions considering it is almost curfew." She raised her eyebrow at Lucia, knowing her reputation for being out well past curfew, "Any essential belongings such as your uniform and books will be delivered by house elves before morning."

"Yes Professor." Lucia smiled awkwardly again, sparing one last look in the direction of Dumbledore's portrait, where he now had his eyes shut in a way that Lucia was sure he was faking sleep.

Tom thanked McGonagall in his fraudulently warm manner before following Lucia back down the winding stone staircase.

"Can't say I'm surprised you're in Slytherin again." Lucia chuckled as they walked down the corridor, "I must say, I'm rather disappointed it won't be as easy to be in each others' dorms now though."

"I suppose we'll just have to find other places." Tom said casually, a smirk playing on his lips.

Lucia's eyes widened in shock, the contrast of his tone and his words having thrown her off guard.

"You don't actually have to walk me to the common room." Tom raised as Lucia continued walking with him despite needing to go the opposite direction for Ravenclaw Tower, "I do remember the way believe it or not."

"Who said we're going to the dungeons?" Lucia grinned, hooking her arm in his.

author's note

sorry it's been a couple of days since I updated! it's been a super busy time for me with work, uni and other stuff, but I hope you enjoyed the double updates I was able to do last week in the meantime!

I'm still not loving this chapter even though I rewrote it a couple of times, but I think it does the job lol

alsooooo... almost 6.5k reads, wtf that's insane. thank you all so much for your support <3