Chapter 20 : New Girl

...

...

...

December is over and it's now a new year. 2017.
During last December, I've been working extremely hard on finishing all of my assignments. I even had my family helped me. It honestly made me feel a little bad. But, all of our efforts paid off. We've finished everything just after New Year's celebration. I checked twice on each paper, making sure I didn't miss out a single work. To my relief, everything was complete. Satisfaction coloured my face as I stretched my body. I never felt so relieved before. It's like finishing an entire dictionary. Well, it's certainly an achievement for finishing stacks and stacks of papers.
But, I wasn't able to feel relaxed anyway. After I submitted all of my works, I was informed I'll be going to school again next week. Sometimes I really really want to set off a nuclear explosion onto school...
I mean, I only got a break after New Year's! And I only have a week to relax and calm down after what just happened to me?! It's very unfair.
But... about the blonde girl. I might be able to ask about stuff about her.

“Are you excited for a new semester, son?” my dad happily nudged me. “Um... not really.” I huffed. “Aww, why so?”
“I mean, after I woke up, I got a ton of homeworks and now after I finished them all, I gotta go back to school? Hah, if I knew this'll happen, I should've probably stayed asleep.” I complained. “Don't be like that. You have worried all of us, y'know? Plus, what if something happened to any of us while you're sleep? Who's gonna take care of your little siblings?” he said with worry. “I... I didn't really think of them. Sorry...” I sighed. “Look, son. I understand that it's tiring and stressful. But, at least you got a break. And plus, we've helped you, too. So, we're also tired from all that, y'know?” dad placed his hand on my shoulder. “You're right...” I nodded. “Speaking of taking a break, why don't you go and actually take a break? Your old man here needs to work on a new game.” he told me. “Really? What's it gonna be about?” I asked. “That's a secret, of course. For surprises and no leaks.” he said and left. I shrugged it off for the time being and began to try and distract myself.

...

A week passed, and I finally returned to school. I'm nervous, actually. Maybe it's because I've slept for so long. And it's a new semester. Gosh, what'll happen to me?
I gulped as I walked into the hallways. I can feel many pairs of eyes staring at me. But, why? Is it because I missed an entire semester? Wait, did the principal announce about my condition? Ah, shucks. Should've expected that, huh? I quicken my walking speed and reached class.
My classmates are absolutely no different. After I shut the door,
Everyone was so surprised and approached me, bombarding me with questions. “Guys, please...! Calm down.” I told them. But of course it doesn't make them quiet down. They just got louder. Even touching me. Kinda gross...
Because of the crowd, I could barely make up any words spoken from my classmates.

“Can you all quiet down?!”

A loud voice rang through the class and everybody finally quieted down. Their attention is directed to a girl sitting at the very back row. Blonde girl, red eyes, and a side ponytail. She clearly looks annoyed.
...wait. Come to think of it, her photo is what made me fainted. Why didn't I faint at her presence?
“Ah... Scharla.”
Scharla? Her name sure is weird.
She stood up and approached the crowd. “Can't you guys just not make a fuss? I was enjoying the previously quiet and peaceful atmosphere of this classroom.” she spoke coldly. Everyone froze. But, I was surprised. I mean, from what I remember, she was smiling sweetly in the picture. I guess expectations differs from reality often. “Anyway, you guys should just return to your seats.” she's glaring now. It sends chills down my spine. Everyone just followed what she said and returned to their seats. Now I'm standing in front of her. The new girl.
“Who are you? A new student?” she asked. Her tone is warmer than before. “Ah, no. I'm actually not. I just... slept for nearly a year...” I mumbled. “Huh!? That's impossible! What sort of phenomenon is that?” she's surprised, but kept her voice low. “I... don't know, it just happened.” I shrugged. “Well... even if I'm new, it's a relief to see you awake. I'm Scharla, Scharlach Rizatsiya. A foreign student. Real nice to finally meet you.” she smiled sweetly at me. Huh? She was being cold before. Now she's smiling?? And it's... a cute looking smile, too. Agh! What am I thinking?!
“Hm? What's wrong? Aren't you going to introduce yourself to me, too?” she tilted her head with curiosity. “Oh! Uh, I'm Y/n L/n. Nice to meet you...” I scratched my head as I gave my introduction with an awkward tone. I'm embarrassing myself...
“No need to be so awkward around me. I was a bit cold before, but I'm not gonna be like that to everyone, especially those I just met.” she said. “I-I see..”
“Hey, why not sit next to me? I wanna know about you better.” she suggested. Huh?? Did I hear that right??? “Uhm! Is it... really okay??” I was flustered. “Ahaha! Of course. Geez, no need to get flustered. You're my classmate, and it's the first time I meet you. I've known everyone here already and they were really annoying.” she sighed as she sat down. “R-really...?” I guess she's cold to the other classmates. I placed my bag and sat down next to her. Upon closer look, I realized she's wearing a jacket, the back resembling a pair of wings. Rainbow crystals...?
“Are you into Flandre Scarlet?” I blurted out my thoughts. Her eyes lit up and looked at me with her eyes sparkling. “Yes!! I do!” she cheered happily. “She's really adorable! And so very unique. She's a vampire with crystal wings unlike her sister, which makes me wonder what happened to her wings. She's basically my favourite character! And her fight is so much fun! Her theme is amazing! It's like Touhou's iconic song or something! ZUN is super incredible! I really hope I can meet him someday.” she spoke a lot of words very quickly. She's clearly very excited with the topic of Touhou. “Wow... you really like her, huh?” I chuckled. “Yeap!” she smiled widely. I swear I can see flowers.
“Why'd you bring it up? Do you know Touhou, too?” she leaned closer to me. “Umm...! Yes I do!” I said, pulling my face away and looked away. Too close!!
I can hear her squealing then gasped and went silent. I turned to face her, and her face went blank and cold. “Huh?? What's the matter?” I asked. Was it something I did?
“You're not actually a fan, are you?” she spoke coldly. Her voice has no melody. “No. I am a fan of Touhou.” I reassured her.
“Oh, really, yeah? Tell me, what's Flandre's ability?” she glared at me. “Destroying everything.” I simply spoke. “What is the plot in the game Koumakyou?” she asked again. Why is this happening? “Remilia covered the sky with scarlet mist so she could walk outside.” I spoke. Though, saying it myself makes me feel like it's a pretty basic plot...
“Oh, so you're not just a fake fan. I'm so happy to meet someone like you!!” she grabbed my hands and shook it. It made me blush like a weirdo. “Y-yeah...! Uhm... please let me go...” I said it, embarrassment can be heard in my voice. “Ah, sorry.” she giggled. Gosh, she can easily change her mood quickly.

“So, you falling asleep for nearly a year is what caused all of that ruckus, huh?” she said, her left cheek rested on her left arm. “Yes. I thought you knew?” I asked. “Nope. I must've came after the announcement was made. Still, it's so strange for that to happen. And you're actually dreaming something? So you're not actually half-dead.” she talked some more. “Um... yes.” I just nodded. Honestly, I can't keep up with the conversation. “Hmmm...” she hummed. “Looks like you're not much of a talker.” she then said. But, she doesn't sound bored.
“Well, stop talkin' to him.”
Oh boy.
I saw some guy with his group approaching us with his annoying voice.
“Huh?” she said, with an annoyed tone. “Why talk with such a plain guy like him when you can talk with the special ones?” he said. “Huh??” she started to sound even more annoyed. “I said why are y—”
“Huh?!” she glared at them. “You're not special, cuz you guys aren't a bunch of aliens. You're a human like me and him. If you wanna insult someone, then why not go look in the mirror?” she spat. I was surprised. She sounded so cold and harsh. But, at least they backed off.
“You didn't have to do that, Scharla. It's fine, I wasn't bothered by it at all.” I said. “People who think they're more special are just people who can't accept who they are and tryna create a fake self. At least, that's how I see it. And you should definitely stand up for yourself. They're gonna continue to bother ya if you don't.” she told me. “I heard those a lot. But, I don't really see any difference, even if I did stand up.” I sighed. “Don't be like that. They may come back, but if you continue to stand up for yourself then there'll be something that made them realize.” she said. “You're not wrong, I guess.” I smiled a bit. “C'mon, you better! And if you won't do it, then somebody else will. Like before. But, you gotta know that others won't always be there for you.” she advised. “I got it, I got it. Don't worry.”
She keeps insisting me of defending myself. I've never seen somebody so persistent before.
“Oh, man. I sounded like a friend, huh? Well, from here on out, we're friends, cool?” she said. “Sure. I don't mind.” I blurted out. “C'mon, at least sound happy.”
Not that I wasn't trying to. It's just my head is pounding again.
“Sorry. I'm having a bit of a headache.” I answered. “Headaches? Are you sick or something?” she asked. “It's been happening ever since I woke up. I don't think it's that simple.”
“Need to go to the infirmary?” she suggested. “No need. Can't risk missing out the lessons anymore.” I sighed. “If you say so. But tell me if it gets any worse. It's important to look after yourself.” she said. “Yeah, I got it.”
After that, the bell rang and lessons finally start again.

...

It's lunchtime.
“Hey!” someone called. I turned around and it Scharla. “Huh? What's wrong?”
“We're gonna go eat together, silly. Isn't that what friends do?” she happily said. “Oh, um.. right. Let's head to the cafeteria together, then.” I replied. We walk next to eachother. Despite the crowd filling the hallways with noises, I can feel the awkward silence between us. We're friends, but we don't act like one, huh?
“Sooo.... what are your hobbies?” she broke the tension between us. “Uhm... play video games and watch anime? And sometimes read manga.” I answered. It feels slightly embarrassing to tell that to a friend I just met, especially that it's a girl. “Oh! So you play games? What kind?” she eagerly asked some more. “Any kind, really. As long as it's fun. Games that makes you feel stressed out are a nope from me. How about you?” I said. “Same. Do you play MMORPGs? Maybe we can friend eachother and co-op? And do quests together!” she cheered. Wait, which game is she talking about?
“Sounds fine with me. But, what games do you have?”
“Ah.. uhh...” she stutters. What's this? Why is she nervous? Shouldn't she know? “I can't remember! Since I downloaded so many games in my devices. Hehe...” she laughed and scratched the back of her head, sticking out her tongue a little. “Um.. alright? If you say so.”
“I'll tell you tomorrow! Oh, no. Maybe we should exchange numbers? Oh! Maybe you have Discord? We can chat there.” she suggested, smiling brightly. She suddenly shifts from being nervous to cheery again, all of a sudden. I really don't get her sometimes. But, she's cute...

To be continued.
Cliffhanger? Sorry, I just can't find the right time to end it.
Anyways, I have a feeling we're getting closer, slowly, to the end. Kinda excited!
Thanks for reading!