Chapter 18 : Mysteries

I woke up to a gentle shake. My eyes began fluttering open and scanned the area with my eyes still half-open. I saw a figure beside me. “Hey, wake up.” a male voice gently told me. Is it my father? I tried opening my eyes wider and it is my father. “Wh-what's wrong...?” I asked. “Oh, thank goodness you're awake. I was afraid you'd fall asleep endlessly again.” he said with relief. Huh... now that he mentioned it, I didn't dream of anything. And my body still feels fresh. I rose from my laying position. “What time is it...?” I asked my father. “It's 18:27 PM. It's almost dinner time.” he told. “What?!” I gasped in shock and immediately got off from my bed. “Hey, calm down. You'll stumble and fall.” he said. As if it was planned, I did nearly stumble and fall, only to be saved by the wall I held onto. My father sighed. I turned around and saw him shaking head with a smile. “Geez, be more careful. We'll be waiting downstairs.” he said and left my room. “Yeah.” I said. Afterwards, I head to the bathroom.

I rushed downstairs and I can smell my mother's cookings. “Wow... it smells great? What's for today's dinner?” I asked. “Well, since you missed out Christmas, I figured we'd make a Christmas special dinner. But, it's surprise~!” my mother giggled. Oh, yeah. I was told I slept for nearly a year. I turned around to the living room and saw my father with my little sister who's crawling on the floor while playing with her toys, and my brother sitting on the couch watching a cartoon. “What'cha watchin', li'l buddy?” I asked. “Anime!” he cheered. “Well, I can see that ya li'l dork. I meant what anime?” I said while pinching his cheeks. “Oweee! It'sh N*ruto!” he said. I laughed and let go of his cheeks. “Alright, alright. I'm just kidding. I know what you're watching.” I told. “Broootherrr!” he playfully starts punching me. I held my arms up to protect myself as I laughed.
(I hope this does not get copyright striked lmao)
“Now, now, you two. Don't fight, okay?” my father chuckled. We retreated and nodded. Both of us then watched the TV.

...

“Dinner's ready!” my mother yelled. All of us looked to the dining hall and rushed there. I can smell the food just from the living room. “Yay! Dinner!” li'l bro cheered. “Wow... a lot of chicken and cake? When did you have the time to make it?” I asked my mom. “Oh, we just ordered the cake from a bakery.” she said. I thought she cooked it herself. Though, it might take a lot of time. “And that large chicken on the plate?” I asked again. “I cooked it myself. That I can assure.” she said triumphantly. A lot of food for today's dinner, huh? I think today I'll be puking for a full hour...
“Hm? What's wrong, Y/n?” my father asked as he gently placed my little sister into the crib. “I... just think it's too much food. I really appreciate it! But... isn't this a bit too much?” I said. “Ahaha! Silly, we're having guests later!” my mother said. Oh, that makes sense. “And if we have leftover, we can just eat them the next day.” my father added. “You're right. Who are the guests?” I asked. “Your grandparents, uncles and aunts of course!” my mother said happily. She's perhaps very ecstatic. “So we're waiting for them first?”
“Duh!” my two year old brother sassed. “Wow, look at you, being all sassy.” I poked his nose. He's a fast learner. He can speak just from the age of two. And this leads him to learn a lot of questionable words. “Then, as we wait, how about we give you your gifts?” my mother suggested. “Sounds wonderful! I'll get them.” my father stood up. “Ooh! Let me help, dad!” li'l bro eagerly jumped off from his seat and followed father. I laughed at this sight.
After a few minutes, they returned with their gifts in hand. My brother only carried one and my father carried the rest. “Was this really needed? I have nothing in return.” I said. “It's alright. You waking up is like a Christmas miracle on its own.” my mother answered. “Here! Open mine, first. It's the most special one!” my brother eagerly handed it to me. I took it and opened it. “Huh?”
It was a new phone and a toy? Alongside a letter inside it. “You... got me a new phone? And what's this toy? Don't tell me it's actually yours and you gifted me your old toy.” I said. “Whaaat? How do you know?” my brother just frowned. “Did I figure it out too quickly?” I chuckled. “But dad bought the new phone and I just used it as a gift. Isn't it special?” he cheered up back again. “Wow... thanks a lot, li'l bro and father.” I said as I bowed and then patted my brother's head. “Hahaha! It's all good, son. Oh, and maybe you should start calling us more informally?” he laughed. “Informally? What do you mean?” I asked. “You keep calling us ‘father’ and ‘mother’ for years. Just call us ‘dad’ and ‘mom’. It's alright!” he said. Come to think of it, I remember when I was adopted, I have always called them in a more formal manner. “Are you sure?”
“You're always so polite, even to your own family. We were just thinking of maybe you should loosen up a bit. It's okay to be informal with us, but don't misbehave.” my mother said. “I'm not sure if I entirely understand, but alright.” I scratched my head. “Anyways, my gift is next.” dad said. He handed me his gift. “Thanks, dad.” I smiled and eagerly shakes the box in curiosity. “Ahahaha! You immediately went informal!” he laughed suddenly. “H-huh? Was it too soon?”
“Nah, it's fine. I'm just happy to hear it. But I like the part where you immediately do something you're told. It's a good side of you.” he said. “Ah... w-well... because your my dad and mom. It'd only make sense that way.” I rebutted. “Fair point. Well, don't hold on any longer, go ahead and open it!” he said. I carefully pulled the ribbon crossed the entire box and opened the top. “Whoa! Dad, you got me this?”
I pulled out a Nintendo 3DS. “Yes! Isn't it wonderful? I saved up enough money for this.” he said. “Wow... then, thanks dad.” I said. I can't wait to play games on it.
“And finally, how about mine?” my mother stood up and handed me her gift. I took it and unwrapped it.
“Huh...? What's this?”
I pulled out a shirt with a picture on it.