Chapter 17: "Unsaid Emily"

A/n: Warning! My attempt on a sad chapter! Unsaid Emily will and always has made me cry my eyes out. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter as I cried while listening to it to write this!
-/-/-/-/-/-/-

"Y/n?" Luke says from behind me. I turn around and stare at him shocked. "Why're you here? Don't you and Julie have a thing about boundaries?" He crosses his arms. I pull Unsaid Emily out from my pocket and show it to him. His face softens a little. "What're you doing?" He asks, looking up at me. "I'm showing your mom her son was something to be proud of." I tell him before turning to ring the doorbell. I expected him to quickly leave or try to stop me. He didn't. He wanted closure and his parents deserved it. The door swings open as his dad stands in front of me. "Yes? Can I help you?" He asks, looking at me. "I'm sorry for bothering you but I have an understanding you had a son named Luke?" I ask hopeful that I don't upset him. He nods and smiles softly. "We did, yes. Come in." He opens the door a little wider for me and I step inside.

"I'm Mitch by the way." He says, shaking my hand. I smile and introduce myself before looking at a baby picture of Luke. Mr. Mitch's wife walks into the living room. "I thought I heard the doorbell, who's this?" She says softly, smiling at me. You could tell this woman lost so much in just one night. She had a kind heart, just like Luke, but was broken. "I'm Y/n. My bestfriend, Julie, and I make music in the same room your son did." I explain to her. She smiles sweetly at me. There's a hint of sadness behind it though. "I found a song he wrote about an Emily?" I unfold the piece of paper. His mom begins to tear up and nods slowly. "I'm Emily." She says quietly. I hand her the paper and she begins to read.

"First things first, start the scene in reverse. All of the lines rehearsed disappear from my mind." Luke begins to sing softly behind me. I glance back at him, knowing only I could hear him. Tears stream down his cheeks as he reflects on everything. "When things got loud, one of us running out. I should've turned around but I had too much pride." I listen to him, his way of story telling. Luke and his mom fighting. Luke's mom didn't like the fact that he was in a band but it was something he loved doing. They often got into fights about it. Luke was tired of being told he couldn't do it. He left. He left his mom crying in their driveway and rode away on his bike. His dad pulled up to find her like that. Luke regrets not turning around that very night. Emily continues reading as more tears fall from her eyes.

"No time for goodbyes. Didn't get to apologize. Pieces of the clock that lie broken." I feel the tears in my eyes. It makes sense why Luke is the way he is. He died without ever seeing his parents again. He never got to apologize to his mom for running out on her, he never got to say a full goodbye to his dad, and he never got to make them proud of him. He died. The night he died and the cops came to the door was the worse night of his parents lives. He wish he could take it back, take back the pain he caused. Mitch couldn't help but tear up himself. The fact that his son had written such a beautiful song but died so young hurt him.

"I know Luke died at 17, but he left such a beautiful and calming energy in the studio Julie and I write in. It's incredible." I say to them. Emily looks up at me and pulls me into a hug. "You have no idea.. how proud of him I am." She says softly. I hug her back and nod. "Believe me, he knows." I smile through my tears. Luke sniffles softly and wipes his eyes before disappearing out of there. He wasn't good at handling his feelings. "Anytime you find something or would like to share it with us, you're always welcomed." Mitch tells me and pats my shoulder gently. I smile at them before thanking them. I walk outside on to the porch and look around. Luke was no where to be seen. I smile a little to myself, knowing it gave Emily and Mitch closure and hoped it gave Luke some too. I walk back to Julie's. Alex and Reggie are playing basketball together while Luke sits on the ground beside them.

"There you are Luke." I walk over and sit next to him. He smiles softly at me. "Thank you." He simply says. I nod and smile, going quiet to enjoy our silence. Alex goes to shoot the ball in the air before a jolt shocks all three of them. Luke leans back against the wall of the studio and holds his side. "What just happened.." I ask, looking at all of them. "Y/n.. we have something to tell you." Luke admits, looking up at me. I look at all of them before nodding. "Get Julie." Alex says.