Chapter 6: "Perfect Harmony"

A/n: Perfect Harmony by Julie and Luke is performed by Y/n and Luke towards the end of this chapter! I definitely recommend listening to it while reading if you'd like! :)
-/-/-/-/-/-

After my date, I make my way home. I had managed to sneak Luke's flannel out from behind the pillow and bring it with me. I smile and wrap it around my shoulders. The warmth immediately returned as it covered me. The walk back to my house wasn't too bad. I walk inside and take my shoes off at the door, keeping Luke's flannel around me. "Do you realize how late it is?" My grandmother asks as soon as I come around the corner. I take my phone out of my pocket and check the time. "Your curfew was 12:00. It's 12:30." She says, crossing her arms. "I know, i'm sorry. I lost track of time." I tell her, hoping she would be too mad if I told her the truth. "Is this his?" She asks while looking over the flannel. "I uh. No. It's a friend of mines. You know Julie? It's a guy she's in a band with." I say and smile lightly. My grandma looks at me. "A boy in a band? Good thing you didn't go on a date with him. Those kind of boys are always trouble." She says, shaking her head. Huh. Good thing I didn't tell her he was a ghost. I don't respond but instead go upstairs to my room. I sigh softly and pull the flannel off my shoulders. My hands move around my back to unzip the dress and it slips off of me. I pull on a band tee and a pair of shorts before wrapping up in the flannel again. It had become quite a comfort item for me. I lay down in my bed, turn off my light and close my eyes. Once I start relaxing, I feel the bed dip down beside me.

"Y/n." Luke says from beside me. His voice sounds different, raspy and almost like he's crying. I sit up quickly and flip on my light. He was crying. There were a few tears streaming down his cheeks with his eyes red and puffy. His nose was red and it killed me to see him like this. I don't even say anything, I just move my arms to wrap around him. He leans into me and sniffles into my shoulder. I hold him close while continuing to trace soft circles into his back. It seems like an hour that we sat in silence, the only noise being made is his sniffles.

"I left you at Josh's house and on my way back to Julie's, I decided to stop and see my parents. I really miss them, Y/n. And it hurts so badly that I can't hug them." He whispers into my neck. I nod, knowing that exact feeling. I easily move us to where we're laying down. He lets me but keeps his arms around my waist. I pull the blanket over us and move one of my hands up to play with his hair gently. His eyes become droopy once I begin and I can feel him relaxing beside me. I didn't know ghosts even produced body heat but how close we were, I was beginning to feel a lot warmer than I was before. I laid my head on his shoulder a tiny bit and continue to play with his hair. In seconds he's gone to sleep. He's fully relaxed and his lips part to allow quiet snores to pass through them. Eventually I fell asleep with him.

I woke up the next morning but my bed was empty. Luke must've left sometime this morning or towards the middle of the night. I smiled a bit to myself and walked to get ready. I folded the flannel and laid it on my bed so I could give it back to him soon. I finish getting ready and text Julie to tell her I'm walking over so we can walk to school together. My grandma tried to get me to stop and eat breakfast real quick but I told her I didn't have time. I rush outside and start to head to Julie's. She was already waiting for me and the boys were with her to give us a goodbye. "Bye guys. No practicing when I'm not here. I can't have my dad getting suspicious." Julie tells the guys and they nod their heads like they've heard it all before.

"Y/n, can I talk to you?" Luke asks, pulling me off slightly to talk in private. I nod and walk with him. "I'm really sorry about last night. I just.. Julie's studio is usually my safe place but last night I needed a hug honestly." Luke explains. "Luke, you don't have to apologize. You miss your parents. Trust me, I understand that more than anymore." I say, placing my hand on his shoulder gently. He pulls me into a soft hug and I wrap my arms around him. "Thank you." He says quietly and I nod, smiling at him. I rub his back before pulling away slowly. "I'll see you after school." I say before walking off with Julie.

We arrive to school together, heading to our first class. Josh caught up with me in the hallway. "Hey, I really enjoyed our date last night." He says, smiling softly. "I did too." I say but I wasn't exactly sure if I meant it. We walk into the gym where we were going to start practicing to dance. Coach told us it would help the boys loosen up for games and our dance teacher wanted to help him out. Josh grabs my hand gently once the music begins to play and we begin to dance. I smile when he spins me but my gaze lands on the mirror. It's not Josh beside me. It's Luke. He's wearing a white button up and black slacks with his hair styled differently. He looks incredible. That's when I hear his voice.

"Step into my world. Bittersweet love story 'bout a girl. Shook me to the core. Voice like an angel, I've never heard before." He sings softly as he steps through the mirror. My heart skipped a beat as he began stepping closer to me while holding out his hands. I let out a shaky breath. He looks so good. He smiles at me as he finally comes closer. I slowly place my hands in his before starting to sing with him. "Here in front of me. They're shining so much brighter than I have ever seen. Life can be so mean. But when he goes, I know he doesn't leave." He spins me around him before pulling my waist back to him, our eyes on each other the whole time. He wraps his arm around my waist and easily dips me, brushing some hair behind my ear before lifting me back up as we sing together.

"The truth is finally breaking through, two worlds collide when I'm with you. Our voices rise and soar so high. We come to life when we're in perfect harmony." He picks me up carefully and leans his head back to look up at me. I smile and run my fingers through his hair. My fingers move down to gently linger against his jaw once he sets me on the ground again. His hands move up my sides and I shiver a little under his touch. He spins me and pulls my back to his chest, continuing to hold my hands. I lean my head back against his shoulder and smile softly. I turn my head to look at him. He looks at me. He wraps his arms around me and sways us a bit. I close my eyes and continue to lean back on him, my heart pounding against my chest. "We say we're friends, we play pretend. You're more to me, we're everything. Our voices rise and soar so high. We come to life when we're in Perfect Harmony." I feel his heart beating quickly in his chest against my back before he spins me back around to face him. My eyes widen when it's not longer Luke holding my waist. Instead it's Josh.