Chapter 7

Flawless.

That was how Taeil knew the other mentors would describe Haechan's stage but Taeil personally felt like it was lacking something.

He just couldn't figure out what it was as Haechan made his way off stage while Jungwoo announced the next person.

"Lim Iseul."

Taeil sat a little straighter as the girl appeared on the stage, her guitar in her hands. He couldn't help but smile as he admired the girl in her simple outfit, looking much more down to earth in comparison to the other performers.

"Ah, is she hyung's type?" Taeyong joked, making Taeil's eyes widen. He knew that their microphones had caught the comment as Taeyong held in his giggle.

"No." Taeil immediately responded but Taeyong didn't seem convinced as he smiled.

Jungwoo gave Iseul the signal to begin, and the girl began playing her song.

Taeil loved the sound of Iseul's voice. It was soft and angelic, matching perfectly with the sound of her guitar. The whole image Iseul had created was well done and Taeil felt like it went along with the girl's personality as well.

Once she was done, everyone was surprised when Jungwoo commented, something he had only done with a few of the competitors.

"Iseul, I've never heard that song before. What is it?" Jungwoo asked.

"It was a self-composed." Iseul answered, murmers spreading through the competitors.

Jungwoo nodded his head, thanking the girl. Taeil's eyes followed Iseul as she made her way off the stage.

"Well, that's another fifteen, so let's discuss." Jungwoo said, giving the mentors a smile.

...

"Hey, that was so good!" Jeno said as Iseul slid in beside him, taking her seat once again.

"Really? I wasn't sure if I made a good impression." Iseul confessed but Jeno shook his head.

"No, I think you did really well, noona. Your performance and Haechan's made me really nervous." Jeno told her.

"Oh, don't be. Your performance was so good, you'll make top ten for sure." Iseul reassured him.

"I hope so." Jeno said as he eyed the mentors discussing.

"Well either way," Iseul started, glancing at the tables where the mentors sat. "It's out of our hands now."

...

"What why?" Taeil exclaimed in disbelief.

The mentors had gathered to discuss the top ten competitors, which would be announced after the dinner break. Then the mentors would meet again to chose their teams for the competition.

The other mentors refused to put Iseul as the top ten, feeling that the girl was still lacking at lot in skills. Taeil heavily disagreed though.

It's just because her voice is soft, Taeil thought. Iseul was something different that the other mentors weren't used to. As idols in the industry who sung and performed, they were much more biased towards hard hitting songs.

"I mean, I agree, she has a lovely voice, but this show is about the performance too." Johnny pointed out. "In terms of skill, she just doesn't have what it takes to be top ten. Top twenty? Maybe, but even then, I would say that it's pushing it."

Taeil looked towards Taeyong, hoping he would back him up but Taeyong shook his head. "I'm sorry hyung, I agree with Johnny. Iseul is good but not good enough."