Chapter 5

Iseul was having a hard time focusing and could tell Jeno was as well, from the way he messed up his lyrics every now and then.

Taeil was in their practice room and had been observing for a while before approaching Haechan to give him a few tips.

At least it was supposed to be a few tips.

The reason why Iseul and Jeno were so nervous was because Taeil was giving Haechan corrections on parts of Haechan's singing that they didn't even know were flaws. Taeil was giving Haechan a whole lesson at this point, and it seemed like even Haechan was freaking out.

Maybe he's just going hard on Haechan because they're from the same company, Iseul thought, but soon dismissed it as Taeil started working with Jeno.

Even though Taeil had started with the words "I don't know much about rap," it seemed as though it was a completely lie as he taught Jeno ways to enounciate his lyrics better, helping with his rhythm. Before she knew it, Taeil had finished with Jeno and was now moving to where Iseul was.

Iseul greeted the mentor with a deep bow. Taeil gave her a small smile and motioned to her chair. "Take a seat."

As Iseul sat back down, adjusting her guitar, Taeil was flipping through his book which looked like a guide book of the competitors. "What's your name?"

"Lim Iseul." Iseul responded. Taeil nodded and stopped at a page where her picture was, along with a small paragraph beside it.

"So you write your own songs?" Taeil said as he glanced at the sheet music in front of her. Iseul nodded her head, feeling Haechan glancing at the two from where he stood.

"I'm assuming you're performing this song tomrrow then." Taeil said, motioning to the music stand.

"Yes, yes I am." Iseul said, nervously biting his lip.

"Well, why don't we hear it once and then I'll give you my feedback." Taeil suggest.

"Alright." Iseul said, taking a deep breath.

Once she began playing the intro of her song on her guitar, everything else came out with ease. She hoped that it was up to Taeil's standard as she finished up, giving the male a small smile.

Taeil seemed to be deep in thought as he stared at her music, and Iseul felt her stomach churn, feeling like she had let the songwriter down.

"Can I have your pencil please?" Taeil asked. Iseul nodded, passing Taeil the item.

"So I heard you trying to figure out a new chord for this earlier and it got me thinking." Taeil said, pointing to the section Iseul was fixing when Taeil first entered. Taeil had a hand on the music stand as he stared at the notes.

"Can you play this part?" Taeil asked, turning to look at the girl. "Just play, no need to sing."

"Okay." Iseul said before doing what Taeil had instructed.

Once she finished, she heard Taeil humming the melody as he tapped his index finger on the music stand, staring at the music notes in front of him.

"Hm..." Taeil mumbled before scribbling some music notes on the paper. "Try this."

Iseul played it but it still sounded a little off. Taeil seemed to agree as he quickly erased it with a chuckle.

"Yeah, I didn't think that sounded that good either." Taeil said before writing different notes. "I think this will work."

Iseul played the part with the new chord and was surprised by how well it fit in. Taeil seemed satisfied as well as he nodded his head.

"Better?" Taeil asked.