Chapter 2 - The Request

"Emilia, Emilia" I could hear my father call me from the other room. 

"Yes papa" his face lights up as I walk into his office. He sat there strong and proud behind his large wooden desk with my mother standing beside him. Shit what the hell has happened.

"Bella, sit down please your mother and I need to speak with you". 

This won't be good. I can see from my father's face he does not seem pleased, or happy with the news he is about to share

"A decision has been made, and out of respect I ask this of you, I will not demand it" my father said in a calm voice.

"There has been talk of an uprising with the Martello family, as you know the last female in the family passed some time ago, with no woman to fill her place to council they no longer wish to abide to the treaty, there is rumours of war, too much time has passed, something needs to change and now."

"They can't do that" I say firmly

"We are in agreement there and that is why I.. No why WE have called you here today, they need a woman to fill this place, someone to marry the eldest son Lorenzo, this is not something we have come to lightly it has been a long time of deliberation and discussion between ourselves and with the Martello Familia"

Fuck!! I always knew that an arranged marriage is a possibility but in my naivety I always hoped I would choose my husband, if I wanted one at all.

I have had relationships in the past. In fact my most recent one ended about 6 months ago, he was connected, as all of them have been. We had dated for a year, he loved me so much that he asked my father for my hand in marriage, for no other reason than love.

I liked him a lot. He was a good man, he was kind, he came from a family close to ours. But when my father told me of his request it was then that I knew I had to end it. I couldn't marry him, I didn't love him and I couldn't do that to him, to subject him to a potentially loveless marriage on my part. 

Now I realise a loveless marriage to a man I know would be better than a marriage to a complete stranger. But I made my choice and I must live with the consequences, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Now I must marry for duty.

"When and where?" I ask

"A month on Saturday" my mother responds, she too does not seem enthusiastic about this.

I know there was no point fighting against the proposal, it could be worse my mother and father had an arranged marriage and they are the most in love people you will see.

"You will be able to meet him tonight at the fundraiser," my father adds.

Ahh a fundraiser which in actual fact is just a cover for civilians, but it is a way for the prominent family members to mingle together along with high power business CEO's and government officials under the guise of charity. Men often find quiet corners to discuss business while women chat and boast about their children - women never discuss business outside council.

I had heard of the Martello Familia but never actually met them. I had heard mention of Lorenzo and his Father Riccardo, nothing of note about them though. I just knew his father did not have the best reputation, my father didn't like him very much which made me not like him. My father's instincts are always right, so I know if he is asking me to do this there is a valid reason.