Chang Ying looked the delicious bowl of soup with mushroom and meat, she licked her lips. Lu Chen chuckled and sat next to her. Before she say a word, he picked up the spoon in the bowl and scooped up a tantalising porting with a bit of meat and mushroom attractively sitting in the spoon. With a doting smile, he brought the spoon to her lips.

Chang Ying opened her mouth to protest, "I...I can eat on my..."

The spoon was fed into her mouth, shutting off the rest of her words.

Chang Yings eyes widened as the tasty meat flavour soup touched her tongue, immediately, her greedy mouth started chewing obediently wanting more of that delicious meat and soft mushroom flavour.

Once she swallowed, Lu Chen had raised another spoonful of tempting deliciousness to her lips with the same doting look on his face.

Like this, Chang Ying let herself be fed till every morsel of soup, meat and mushroom in the bowl was scrapped clean.

After she finished eating, Chang Ying sighed contentedly and rubbed her tummy. Then she remembered something and stared at Lu Chen, embarrassed. "Have you eaten? Sorry, I finished everything, I should have left some for you."

Lu Chen put the bowl aside and stood up. "No need, I have already eaten."

"I should still have left some meat for you."

"This food is for you to recover. You lost a lot of blood yesterday. Motter cooked the entire pot for only you. You will take a bowl everyday to nurse your health."

"Chang Ying was stunned. "What about everyone else? Won't they have a taste?"

Lu Chen looked at her with a frown on his forehead. His tone hardened a bit as he reprimanded her, "Chang Ying, do you know yesterday your life was in danger? The doctor sewed you up but you lost a lot of blood, if you don't recover well now, don't you know you could have more severe health problems later?"

Chang Ying tucked her neck in like a turtle, more so because she knew the injury was her own doing. It wasn't deliberate and she hadn't expected it to cause so much trouble either. But she had forgotten, in this time period, for a poor village family like the Lu family,even blood loss was a scary life-threatening incident.

Lack of proper nutrition, lack of medicine, lack of medical attention, lack of many miscellaneous factors could lead to death. Lu Chen was very sensitive to this matter, especially since his father had died at a ripe, young age.

Lu Chen cleared his throat and said, "I want to talk to you about something."

"Hmm, what?"

He exhaled heavily. "I need to know what happened."

Chang Ying blinked a few times, confused. "Huh?"

Lu Chen's eye shifted till they were gazing directly into hers. His eyes like like hot iron, trying to peel away the layers and see directly into her soul. "Yesterday, I nearly beat Shu to death. Today, while reflecting, I keep thinking I should have done it. That is not me, I'm not that type of person." He leaned down, his gaze still locked with hers. "So tell me, what happened while I was away?'

Chang Ying closed her eyes. Several thought ran through her mind, what to say, how to explain, which things he would he believe.

The truth, her and Feifei's rebirth and even the pearl, was out of the question. That was too unbelievable.

Still, Lu Chen was not a fool. Any unfounded thing she said would only create suspicion in his heart.

She slowly opened her eyes and said, "It's true. I have met Yao Shu a few times but it was only while I was strolling around the village. He used to greet me warmly and ask about my health and how you were doing, so I thought he was your good friend. I didn't know he was a troublemaker. Yesterday, I met him while I was wandering about and he..." Chang Ying looked at him and blushed, embarrassed, before she blurted out. "He noticed I hadn't eaten lunch."

Lu Chen's expression remained unchanged but his eyes turned away from her for a few seconds, hiding the guilt painted in them. In the Lu household, it wasn't very often they ate lunch. And if they did, it was usually some light food like nuts, fruits or roasted corn. The other two main meals of the day were small portions of bland, simple dishes, so it was expected that Chang Ying could not adapt to their poor eating habits so quickly.

"He told me his mother was harvesting some corn and if I helped around, she would give me some," Chang Ying softly mumbled. "So I went there. Who knew he had such vicious plans for me? When I got to his farm, he knocked me out and when I woke up, he had tied me up in that place."

There were a few variations between what really happened and what she said but the sequence of events was still the same.

She had not just met that rascal Shu in passing. Shu had lured her over for the last few days to several small meeting spots to share his food. Even to her original self, it was a bit suspicious. After all, she was married and Shu was single, meeting like that in a reserved place was improper. But her hunger wiped off her misgivings. She was easily lured into the trap with food.

It was quite pitiful to lose her marriage and reputation over a bowl of rice. Se had to be the most laughable ride in history.

Lu Chen sat down beside her on the thin mattress. Their shoulders touched as they sat side by side. He moved his hand and slowly placed his calloused palm over her hand.

The two sat and let the silence in the room envelop the both of them.

Chang Ying felt the warmth from his hand. After going through so much, she understood. There was no need for grand or glorious romantic gestures. There was no need for long explanations of why they should be together. No need for endless platitudes of love to defend her desire to be with him.

This was her husband.

He rightfully belonged to her, and she to him. Supporting each other, straightening out misunderstandings, maintaining trust were most important.

Chang Ying suddenly felt him remove him hand from hers. Before she could react, he had placed his arm around her shoulder and drew her closer to him.

His breath brushed her ear as he leaned in to whisper, "Let's go to bed."

Chang Ying's face flushed and she nodded.

Lu Chen helped her to lay on the bed. Then he covered her with the blanket, being very mindful of her wound. After that, he turned around, picked up the empty bowl and left.

Chang Ying blinked and stared at the door with a bit of disappointment and relief.

Lu Chen did not return to the room for another hour. When he did return,he quietly snuck into bed and laid away from her. There was a chasm of emptiness between their bodies. Lu Chen even slept facing the door!

Yes, slept.

Chang Ying cracked open her eyelids and looked at the back of the man sharing a bed with her and wanted to kick him. From now on, she should her husband Mr. No Action.

She huffed and closed her eyes to sleep. That night was awfully long and the only sound in the room was their breathing.