41| i'll be there

Start from the beginning

"What I can't even begin to understand is how he strangled or bludgeoned his victims as well as mutilating them after death. They say that he then prolonged the events by returning to visit the corpses at their dumpsites or even taking them home to gain further sexual gratification." Lauren says as she goes over her notes.

"He talks about that in his interviews too if I'm not mistaken," I tell Lauren. "This case is another example of how much power our minds hold over us, there are so many things that you still can't explain."

"It's a bit scary if you think about it, when you see his interviews he talks and acts like a normal person. If I had seen him in the street walking past me or even had a brief conversation with him, the thought that he was a killer would've never crossed my mind." Lauren says.

"I completely agree with you," I tell her. My phone started buzzing in my pocket, it was Olivia. That meant I had to get going. "I have to go."

"It's okay, go ahead. I have class in an hour so I'll just start writing my part until it's time for me to head to class." Lauren smiles. I close my laptop and I put it inside my backpack alongside my notebook.

"I'm almost done with my part," I say. "I'll add it to the Google doc, that way you can go over it and you can tell me if I need to change or add anything."

Lauren nods. "No problem."

"I will see you in class on Thursday then," I smile. "If you need help with anything, let me know. I have practice from four to seven, after seven I can help you with anything you need."

"Don't worry, if I need anything I'll let you know." Lauren smiles. "Thank you, Everest, I'll see you on Thursday."

I smile as I throw my backpack over my shoulder and walk out of the campus library. Today the doctor was going to give us an update on Macy. That's why instead of heading over to the firm, I was going to drive over to the hospital instead. Things weren't looking still but we all remained optimistic. Her mom has told us many times that her little girl is a fighter and we believe her.

On my way to the hospital, I stopped at the street market that was a few minutes away from the hospital and I bought a bouquet for Macy. Daisies to be more specific, Macy's mom mentioned that they are her favorite. I thought that maybe she would love the smell of daisies that reminded her a little bit of home in her room.

"Hey Olivia," I smile as I greet Olivia. Olivia was sitting in one of the hospital chairs outside of Macy's room. "I was working on a school project when you called, I forgot to return the call."

"Hey Everest, don't worry, I just wanted to know if you were on your way." Olivia smiles. "The doctor just walked in. Macy's mom wanted to wait for you to get here before he told her the results."

"How did you find him?" I ask Olivia as she stands up from the chair. "Did he looked optimistic or do you think it's all bad news?"

"I don't think we'll be receiving optimistic news," Olivia frowns. "It's a good thing you brought flowers."

A million thoughts passed through my mind and as I walked into Macy's room, I thought about every possible diagnosis the doctor could give us. Macy's mom was impatiently tapping her right leg until she saw us walk in. "Everest, you're finally here."

She smiles as she gets up from the chair next to Macy's bed. "Hi Andrea, I'm sorry I'm late, I was working on a project for one of my classes. And I also stopped at the street market to get these for Macy."

I hand Andrea the bouquet and she engulfs me in a hug. "Thank you, Macy is going to love seeing these when she wakes up."

"Dr. Rhodes," I greet.