Stay

Jae stared at the ceiling for a while when everyone else went to rest. She couldn't believe she was here, in a house full of hybrids. She couldn't wrap her head around how kind they were to her. She felt tears form in her eyes, thinking about her mother. It would probably be a long time before she saw her again. She closed her eyes and she remembered how her mother had always loved hybrids as well, which was how Poppy came to be apart of the household.

     Her mom had brought her back home, saying found her just walking on the side of the road, apparently she had been abandoned. Jae was so young she didn't know what to think of it, except she knew she wanted to be friends. The young hybrid and her clicked instantly, and suddenly she was a member of the family, much to her father's dismay. They laughed and played together so much the days went by so fast, until that day where everything stopped feeling like a fairy tail.

      Both Jae and Poppy were playing tag in the hallway, something they probably shouldn't have been doing, and Jae caught Poppy and they rolled on the floor. They didn't realize they had bumped into a tall vase until it crashed to the ground with a loud smash that echoed all throughout the house. The two girls were frightened by the noise, and Poppy had shifted into a bunny at this point.

     Nothing could have prepared them for when her father ran to see what had happened. The look on his face was something beyond anger. Jae was already afraid of her father, but this experience downright made that fear she felt as a child concrete. She immediately started crying, not wanting herself or her friend to be punished. "I'm s-sorry f-father...I-I'll...we'll clean it up, we'll..." Her father held his hand up, telling her to stop talking. He tilted his head and looked at the trembling bunny in her arms.

     "It seems this pet is too much of a responsibility for my young daughter." Without saying another word, he snatched Poppy by her ears, out of Jae's arms. Poppy was squealing and crying, as was Jae. "Father! It was me! It was my fault, don't punish Poppy, she didn't do it, it was me!" She was screaming at her father, but he kept walking away, Poppy still dangling from his grasp. She tried to get up, to run after them, but her foot was hurting. She didn't realize it was red with blood. The vase had fallen on it.

     She couldn't get up, and it was killing her. She wanted to go help her dear friend, but her foot wouldn't allow her to move. She settled on crawling. She could still hear Poppy's cries from where she was, and they were becoming more and more frantic. What is father doing? As she crawled closer, she heard the most frightening sound, more frightening than Poppy's screams.

     A defining crack. And then nothing. Poppy wasn't crying anymore. The silence was louder than her screams had been, and Jae wondered why her cries had stopped. She had crawled to the stairs at this point and she heard footsteps in the foyer below. She saw her father, and in his hands, he was holding a small bunny, by the ears, limp in his grasp. Jae felt like her heart had stopped. She started breathing heavily, and she started to scream. She felt the walls were spinning around her, and she felt like someone was shaking her. She felt her mother rush to her side, and she was screaming her name, "Jae! Jae! Wake up!!"

     She opened her eyes to see Jungkook, his eyes wide with concern and his bunny ears up and alert. She hadn't even realized she had drifted off to sleep. She saw Jungkook's ears and she couldn't hold back her tears. She started to sob, and she felt Jungkook put his arms around her. "Sssh...it's okay...it's okay..it was just a dream..." he said, softly petting the back of her head. Jae shook her head. She knew she had just re-lived one of the worst memories as a child. But she was here, now, in someone's arms. She tried to focus on that.

     "It's alright, I got her." she heard Jungkook say. Jae turned her head to see who else was there, and it was Yoongi, looking like he had just woken up from sleep. He sighed, "Calm her down so she doesn't wake up the whole house." he said quietly, and trudged back to his room.