Seven

It was Saturday morning when Alexander decided to go for a jog. She needed to regroup and refocus on her goal and reason for being there.

She was dressed in black running shorts with a tee to match and black running shoes. She tied her gold weave to the back and placed a cap black in colour as well over it.

She then attached an armband to her right forearm and slid her phone in after playing music. Then she plugged in her wireless sweatproof earphones as she headed for the door.

The sun was just breaking through, reflecting the sky with a tinge of orange.

She locked behind her and shoved the small key into a little pocket in her sports bra. She stretched a little while walking down the pathway to the road.

As soon as she got to it, she started jogging. She peered at her neighbour's apartment and didn't see any sort of movement.

Grateful that Nova was still tucked in her place. She picked up speed down the road towards a park.

She hardly took jogs, only when she needed to. Fortunately for her, she was fit enough to endure one or two in a month.

As she ran, the morning breeze hit her skin pleasantly, reminding her of why she loved mornings.

The road was empty except for a car or two that passed by.

Nature's sounds were blocked by Beyoncé's Get Me Bodied song blasting in her ears, she loved the artist and was old school when it came to music. She didn't have taste for the latest songs, especially hip hop but she listened to them for her dance routines.

West suddenly crossed her mind, she wondered what he was up to. If he thought of her or was occupied with the hottest female in town.

She shook her head, in an attempt to rid her thoughts as she entered a quiet park. She picked up speed, towards a fountain that sat in the centre.

When she reached it, she removed one earphone and controlled her breathing. She checked the time on her phone then looked around.

She was alone until she spotted a figure running in her direction.

She did a side lunge, feeling the pull in her legs with her arms outstretched in front of her.

The person running became clearer as he came closer. He was in long black joggers with a white sleeveless t-shirt. He also had a black cap on with white running shoes.

"Brooks," he greeted with a huff as he halted before her.

"Smith," Alexander greeted back as she switched legs.

The man before her was Caucasian, medium built, and shaven. His blue eyes peered around before landing on Alexander again.

"How's it going?" He asked, taking a sip from a transparent water bottle.

"Progress," Alexander muttered.

"Any new information?" He asked, removing his cap to wipe away sweat with his forearm from his forehead before putting it back on.

"Not anything worth sharing right now, but I've opened the door," she said standing up straight.

"Let's jog," he suggested and took off. Alexander joined him, "There's a big shipment coming into the city in a few weeks, we're certain it's for West. We just need to trace it back to the main source and catch him in the act," he informed her.

"How many exactly?" Alexander asked in thought, she didn't know how she was going to gain West's trust when all they've done was share a short conversation.

"Five," he simply stated.

She nodded her head, "Okay."

"I'll see you in two weeks," Smith announced then turned back.

Alexander put the one earphone back into her ear and jogged back to her apartment, she was done with the important task for the day which was meeting a handler.

Alexander and John Smith met up twice a month to touch base, or if Smith had information on the case. She hasn't had information to give back but they knew this case wouldn't be solved in six months.

She had to gain trust, enough to be allowed into the dealings West did and she felt that she wasn't far from that.

With her place in view, she sprinted, ready for a cooling shower but before that, she needed to compile her checklist against a timeline.

She wanted this job over with and her brother home. She knew very well he did not commit the crime he was in jail for, but West did and that was a personal mission she put herself on.

___

"I go with this one, what do you think?" Nova asked Alexander as she twirled before a full-length mirror in the lounge to Alexander's home.

She was in a short tight dark dress that had some red in front with shiny embellishments, her hair was half tied up and the backdown. She wore stringy heels to finish the look.

"It looks good," Alexander said as she sat waiting for Nova to be done, "Can we go now?" She wasn't in the mood but had already agreed.

Nova grabbed her phone, "Wait, let's take pictures," she walked to Alexander with the camera on.

Alexander stood up, "You know I don't like pictures," she said running away from her.

"I don't get why, you're a pretty girl and you look bad bad tonight," she said.

"Bad bad," Alexander laughed, "I'll take your pictures," she stretched out an open palm.

"Fine," she handed her phone over to Alexander and sat on the black couch near her.

Alexander took a couple of pictures before both girls were satisfied and she handed the phone back to its owner.

"Your hair looks nice by the way," Alexander commented fixing her bobbed weave. She was dressed in a short colorful sequence dress that had open sides and nude high sandals.

"Thank you," Nova smiled and flipped her hair back still focused on her phone. She cooed, "I love this one," she said and showed the photo to Alexander.

Alexander gave a short hum then proceeded to collect her phone, clutch, and keys, "Let's go!"

"Plus your wall colour matches with my dress," Nova continued, oblivious to the impatient Alexander.

"If you don't step out of this house right now, I'm taking this off and getting into bed," Alexander threatened.

That caught Nova's attention, "Damn, okay," she said then grabbed her purse and walked towards the door while rolling her eyes.

"Thank you," Alexander said behind Nova.

This was a relationship she was not going to miss, she wasn't so fond of Nova but that made it easier for her to up and leave.

She thought of West as she locked the door to her apartment, that's a relationship I need to focus on.

With a sigh, she followed Nova to her car, not up for the night ahead.