The Great Tree, Part 2/7

Start from the beginning

Adira nods at Varian, as if she expected him to speak up on the subject. "The Brotherhood," she repeats. "A group of warriors sworn to keep any and all away from the Dark Kingdom."

"Dark Kingdom?" Rapunzel says, pulling out a piece of her scroll. "That's where we're headed."

"Hold it," Varian says. "Backing up to the Brotherhood... What else can you tell us?"

"Yeah, like how many are in this 'brotherhood'?" Cassandra asks.

"Not many," Adira replies. "But you already know of one other member..." She looks Varian straight in the eyes. "Your father, Quirin."

Varian gasps softly, thinking about the tattoo on his father's hand, and on Adira's. The same symbol he saw in that book of Calliope's. "What? But, how...? My father has never mentioned the Brotherhood, or the Dark Kingdom, or—"

"Look, I know you must have many questions," Adira tells him. "But there are more pressing matters at hand. They will have to wait until later." She faces Rapunzel and Cassandra again and says, "None of the brothers is as dangerous or sadistic as Hector. And this is his domain... The Great Tree. He's sworn to stay here and ensure no one crosses these mountains."

"And how do you know so much about all of this?" Cassandra asks, sounding suspicious.

"Let's just say, some of us in the Brotherhood disagree on a couple of things," Adira says.

"'Us?' So, you are a member too?" Varian asks. "You knew my father, and you never said anything?!" He feels anger growing inside of him. Anger at Adira for keeping quiet on this matter. Anger at his father for keeping so many secrets from him. But his conflicting feelings of longing and guilt still claw their way up; longing to free his father and guilt for trapping him in his amber prison.

 But his conflicting feelings of longing and guilt still claw their way up; longing to free his father and guilt for trapping him in his amber prison

Rapunzel places a hand on Varian's shoulder. "Varian, I get that you're upset. But we have to continue." She gazes at him sympathetically.

Varian nods, but he is still aggravated. It is now more important than ever that he finds a way to free his father. To ask him questions about his past, and why he never shared it with his own son.

"Alright, so we have to go through crazy rhino guy's house to get to this Dark Kingdom?" Eugene asks hesitantly.

"Guys, we barely got away from this Hector with our lives," Cassandra says, "and now we're going to trust her and go through his home turf?" She shoots a glower at Adira. "I don't like it."

"Well, like it or not, it's our only choice," Adira tells her, returning the glare.

"I don't like it any more than you do, but unfortunately I think she's right..." Varian says to Cassandra.

Cassandra and Adira both turn to Rapunzel expectantly. "Your call, Blondie," Eugene says to her.

Rapunzel ponders this. It is obvious that she isn't comfortable with the situation, but she finally decides. "I'm going with Adira on this."