Chapter 10: Sanity

Yuna got off the bed, bored of scrolling pointlessly on her phone

Yuna got off the bed, bored of scrolling pointlessly on her phone. She checked the time: 11:27 AM.

It was almost the time for her to go to the cafeteria to meet Chan, and she was honestly looking forward to it. She genuinely liked that boy — maybe not romantically, but she found him to be a good person with a good heart.

She walked towards the washroom, feeling dizzy yet again. Lately, she hadn't been doing so well. She was getting weaker and weaker by each passing day, and she had about no control over it. She hated it so much.

Yuna anyhow managed to enter the washroom, and washing her face with cold water, she shivered, feeling the chills go down her spine when she splashed the cool water on her face. Then, wiping her face with a towel, she dried her hands and stared at herself in the mirror before her.

Her reflection displayed weakness — hollowing cheeks, dark circles under her eyes, and a weak smile on her lips.

Her fists balled when she stared back at herself through the mirror, trying to muster up a smile in spite of her frail self staring at her. She had to smile, no, she couldn't leave that smile no matter what.

After all, her smile was the only thing keeping her sane.

However, that smile twitched from the sides when she combed her hair with her fingers. As she ran her fingers through her hair, locks of hair fell out and stuck to her palm.

"No..." she muttered, watching herself balding from the sides of her scalp. She combed her hair in a gentler manner, but again, her hair got plucked out easily. 

She couldn't help but break out in tears at that.

Gripping the edge of the washbasin, she wailed, her knuckles turning white due to the tightness of her grip. She was bent over the basin, sobbing quietly in the washroom, and she then heard the ringing of her phone from outside the little compartment.

She straightened up, using the cold water to splash it on her face again to wash away her tears. A few choked sobs left her when she controlled herself, prohibiting herself from crying any longer.

"Smile... please."

She forced herself to grin yet again. Even though it wasn't a true, genuine smile, it was something she clung on to dearly.

Smile, and everything will be alright.

She wiped her face with a towel, casting one look at the mirror; her eyes gazing at a balding point at the side of her head.

She tentatively held her hair and loosely tied it into a bun, grabbing a pink beanie from the cupboard and putting it on.

If she couldn't make it better, she could hide it well.

(a/n: a short filler chapter to introduce you to Yuna's point of view. I'm so sorry that it took a while and it still sucks! My exams are close by and I'm pANIK)