32 | apex predator

AUGUST 7

DAKOTA

The star-shaped badge was the first detail I processed. I had a clear view out the door from where I stood and saw Sheriff Wakeman approaching the lighthouse. As far as I could tell, she was alone. Relief flooded through me in waves. I needed Allix as far away from potential harm as possible. That was why I didn't tell her about going to Cape Blue to confront Mike.

"Mike, we can still talk this through," I said, even though I didn't believe it. However, if by some miracle we could cooperate, we stood a chance of resolving this without causing any kind of collateral damage.

Mike vehemently shook his head. "You've fucked us over now," he proclaimed and gave me a quick, menacing look before conjuring a smile worthy of the red carpet. "Sheriff, I'm afraid this is a false alarm," he called out, his arms stretching out in a gallant gesture. "There's absolutely nothing to be concerned about."

As Wakeman stepped through the door, Syd poked me in the shoulder.

"We need to get out of here," he said in a low murmur, and his eyes shifted over to Maud, who stood a few feet away from us. "She must know something we don't."

I nodded but didn't dare respond. When Allix said don't try anything you'll regret tomorrow, I assumed this was precisely what she'd meant. I wasn't entirely sure how this scene was going to play out, but I wasn't interested in standing around and waiting for something to happen. That wasn't my way of dealing with things. Not anymore.

"Mr. Black," Wakeman greeted, her voice sounding strangely hollow. I felt my brow furrow.

"Sheriff," I returned. I clung to my composure like a lifeline. "Is there something we can do for you?"

"I'm responding to a call," Wakeman stated plainly. Her eyes slowly scanned the room, taking in the presence of the three other people.

"We're preparing a night shoot," I said, gesturing to Mike. "Mike has more experience than I do in that respect."

I deliberately avoided giving Wakeman a reason as to why Maud and Syd were here, but I didn't need to. I was the boss, and people still seemed to forget that.

"In many respects, actually," Mike retorted, tugging at the collar of his brown leather jacket.

"Where's Allix?" Maud abruptly asked Wakeman, regretfully confirming my suspicions that Allix was here but just not here. I didn't know whether to be concerned or relieved.

"If you guys want to go find your little friend, then that's fine by me," Mike offered. "We can all walk away and forget that any of this happened. That's the best-case scenario for all of us. "

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Syd glance at me with a deliberate yet unreadable expression on his face. This was one of those times when I wished that we'd followed through on our childhood goal of developing a secret language.

Wakeman cleared her throat. "Mr. Bennett, I'm requesting that you join me at the station. There are a few subject matters that I-"

"With all do respect, no," Mike bit back with a renewed edge in his voice. "If you're not arresting me, I can walk out of here at any time."

"Everything that you've done will come out," Maud said in a low voice, balling her hands into fists at her sides. "Everything eventually does. There's only so much evidence you can cover up, especially when it's our word against yours."

"You're not going to get away with this," Mike objected haughtily, waving a finger at us. "You're all trying to frame me."

To make matters worse, I noticed Maud's phone sticking out the pocket of her rain jacket, and I was ready to bet my life that she was recording the conversation. I knew that Maud's memory of what happened to her on the night of July 10th was murky due to being whacked on the head and nearly drowning. Not remembering those important details was obviously not her fault, but it made piecing together the facts all the more challenging.