PART NINE

After I left, I put on my boots and the one piece of clothing that I hadn't packed, which was a long, light brown coat that looked something like the kind streakers would wear. It was the warmest thing I owned. I had nowhere to go and no idea what I was going to do now. I figured that I would find somewhere to sleep tonight, maybe in a park, and then change into the most presentable black outfit I had come morning, before hitchhiking my way to work. Once I started earning a steady income, I could afford a cheap motel room, but tonight I was sleeping on the streets because I didn't have enough money for a single phone call. And even if I did, I wasn't the type to openly ask for charity.

There were a few clouds covering the night sky, and though the streets were still damp from earlier, the rainfall had stopped, and it didn't look like it would shower anymore tonight. It wasn't ideal, but considering it was no longer raining, I figured that camping outside in the city streets for one night wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I jumped the train to downtown Sydney and searched for a safe place to rest—preferably somewhere undercover. I carried a single brown backpack that had a few holes within its cotton interior, and I couldn't help but notice how my entire life could be packed into a single, medium-sized bag.

A few blocks over, I found a back alleyway. It was situated behind an old, abandoned building. Originally, I had contemplated breaking into the building, but the shutters were boarded too strong, and I eventually settled for the alleyway. There was a small, wooden shelter near the doorway, with a green dumpster sitting nearby that was surrounded by empty bottles of wine. I knew staying here wasn't the safest choice, considering I was in one of the more dangerous neighbourhoods, but the small streetlight in the distance and the surrounding dark brick walls gave me peace of mind and a sense of security.

However, that peace was short-lived when I noticed a couple of dark figures in the distance, dancing around like shadows. Hastily, I tore open the broken zipper to my bag and slid my hand inside to grab my red pocketknife. As the figures grew closer, I quickly flicked my pocketknife open. If I'm going down, I thought, I'm going down fighting. I remained still, like a piece of the scenery, as I pressed my back firmly to the brick wall and did my best to remain silent.

"Oh, stop it!" A female giggled. She sounded like a schoolgirl—maybe she was?

"Come on, sweetheart. You love it." I recognised a thick French accent. The male's voice was seductive as it echoed through the silence of the back alley, sending chills through my entire body. This stranger had the most alluring voice I had ever heard. It was like ice cream on a hot day, sweet yet cold, and so good it could melt in your mouth. I couldn't see what was going on because the alleyway was too dark, but his next words made me stare regardless. "I'm going to eat you up."

That was a strange thing to say, but it was mostly the way he said it that intrigued me. He sounded aroused, desperate, and almost . . . hungry. His words were followed by a series of kissing sounds, soft moans, and a—a cry for help.

What the hell?

At first, I thought the girl was playing around. I thought that perhaps she was into some kinky stuff, like role-play, but then she started to cry pleadingly.

"Don't!" The woman begged. "Stop!"

Without another thought, I tightened my grip around my knife and sprung to my feet. Two girls against one man seemed fair enough. After all, the years I had spent on the streets resulted in a natural fighting ability.

"Leave her alone!" I ordered, sounding something like a police officer—something like Reed. "Drop her. Now!"

Unfortunately, he did exactly what I said. He grabbed her viciously and threw her against the nearest green dumpster, as though she weighed nothing at all. Even in the dimmed lighting of the alleyway, I cringed. Her body fell mangled and her neck looked disfigured.