PART TWENTY-EIGHT

My world seemed to slow down at those words

It took a few moments for their meaning to truly sink in. All the while, Noah's lips kept moving as Darien nodded in agreement. I heard their conversation in broken fragments as I stared between them. They were mentioning words like "shoot" and "behead." I figured they were discussing battle tactics on how they were going to achieve his death, but I was still caught on the entire concept.

Kill Reed?

The words just didn't sit right with me.

Sure, he put out a hunter APB on my Maker and me, as Noah had stated, but was that really enough reason to kill somebody? I mean, he hadn't killed us when he had the opportunity, so didn't he deserve the same kind of respect? Darien and Noah continued talking casually, as though discussing murder were no different than talking about sports.

My Maker put on his shirt and they went downstairs to go over the 'logistics' of it. I didn't like the way they were acting so nonchalant about taking a human life, but as I followed behind them, I realised that they weren't going to listen to me, the baby vamp, and merely let him go free.

I needed to find another way to save him.

We stood in the lounge room as I tried to come up with a way to somehow alter their perception, but as I glanced between them, I noticed that they both seemed really set on the idea of getting rid of him for good.

Still, I helplessly tried.

"Are you really sure he's working alone?" I asked Noah. "Maybe your source was wrong? A person can be wrong. They can mishear information."

"That's why I relied on multiple sources."

I think those words were supposed to be reassuring, but they weren't. "Oh, good." I glanced away.

They continued throwing back and forth ideas as I brainstormed some thoughts of my own.

"But, um." I chewed on my lip for a moment. "How will killing him fix the APB problem? There's still that news report, and he still has his hunter men searching for us, even if they don't know why they're searching for us."

Noah sighed. "I've considered all this, and yes, the APB is a problem, but having him alive and sending more people after you both is far more problematic than any implications caused by his death. We will simply compel a few people and then lay low for a while."

My eyebrows came together. "But won't the hunters presume it was Darien and then come after us tenfold?"

"No. We will have a fall-man," said Noah.

"A fall-man?" I repeated. I couldn't believe it. They had thought of everything.

Darien had a lit cigarette between his lips as he turned toward me. "Yeah, a fall-man," he said. "A man who takes the fall for us."