Chapter Twelve

𝘾𝙡𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙨𝙨𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝘼𝙣𝙙𝙮 𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙗𝙖𝙘𝙠 𝙩𝙤 𝙉𝙚𝙬 𝙔𝙤𝙧𝙠 𝙤𝙣 𝙖𝙣 𝙤𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 train, taking turns keeping watch

𝘾𝙡𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙨𝙨𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝘼𝙣𝙙𝙮 𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙗𝙖𝙘𝙠 𝙩𝙤 𝙉𝙚𝙬 𝙔𝙤𝙧𝙠 𝙤𝙣 𝙖𝙣 𝙤𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 train, taking turns keeping watch. Clarisse shook Andy awake as the train pulled into the station.

"C'mon," Clarisse whispered, trying not to get the attention of the other passengers.

For some reason, Andy felt perfectly comfortable sleeping next to Clarisse, even on a crowded train, where anyone might've been a monster in disguise.

Even in the Hermes cabin Andy liked to sleep with her back to the wall and a knife under her pillow at all times. She had even forced someone to give her their bunk, because it was closer to the wall, and nearby a window. The window would prove to be an escape if she ever needed it.

It may have had to do with the fact that Andy was fairly certain Clarisse could protect both of them. Until Andy woke up, at least.

They got off the train, Clarisse keeping a tight hand on her bag's strap. The Mist managed to obscure the armor and weapons in both of their bags from the metal detectors.

Andy knew that the Mist was generated by the mythological world coming into contact with the mortal world, but she didn't know exactly how it managed to confused the sensors in the metal detectors. She wasn't complaining by any means.

They got out of the station as the sun was rising. The city smelled the same as it had before—wet concrete, cigarette smoke, and trash. Andy didn't miss it too much. Camp Half-Blood had a little more of a welcoming smell, like the forest she grew up in the middle of.

"He said it was in Manhattan, right?" Clarisse asked. She was walking way too fast for Andy to keep up.

"Yes, he did," Andy scoffed. "Can you slow down? What, did your legs grow an extra couple inches since I saw you last?"

Clarisse laughed, slowing her stride. "Not my fault you're short."

"I'm only a couple inches below average, Goliath."

"I'm only six feet tall," Clarisse said.

"'Only six feet tall.'" Andy mimicked. "Blame my dad. I think he gave me the short genes."

"Your dad?" Clarisse asked.

"Oh, I must've forgotten to tell you," Andy said, turning into an alleyway. "I've had a couple dreams."

"About?"

Andy closed her eyes. This alley felt . . . different. It smelled more like the inside of a department store than an trash filled alley in Manhattan.

"He just visited me, told me I had a big choice coming up, etc etc," Andy said, trying to push a dumpster to the side. "Come help me."

Clarisse helped, easily moving the green box to the side. Andy grumbled loudly.