Chapter Nineteen

𝘾𝙡𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙨𝙨𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝘼𝙣𝙙𝙮 𝙨𝙥𝙡𝙞𝙩 𝙪𝙥 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙖 𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙧𝙩 𝙝𝙪𝙜 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 Phoenix train station

𝘾𝙡𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙨𝙨𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝘼𝙣𝙙𝙮 𝙨𝙥𝙡𝙞𝙩 𝙪𝙥 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙖 𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙧𝙩 𝙝𝙪𝙜 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 Phoenix train station. Andy was sad to see her go, of course, but it was for the best.

Now came the hard part.

Andy had no idea how to get to Mount Othrys. Sure, she knew it was on Mount Tamalpais in California, but according to Annabeth and Percy, the only two entrances were no longer open. One was the Labyrinth, which had closed when Daedalus died, and the other, which Andy didn't know how to access, was only open at sunset. Her current plan was to find a monster or two that remained loyal to Kronos, and follow them. Most monsters had sided with the Titan so it wasn't exactly difficult.

She found a suitable monster in a train station in Southern California, where her train had stopped.

It was a woman, waiting near a coffee shop. At least her head was a woman's. From the neck down she stood on four legs and was covered in scales. Her back legs had cloven hooves, and her front legs had lion's paws. She had stringy brown hair, and an even stringy-er tail. A lamia.

Andy was more than sure the monster would be happy to kidnap her. The problem was getting the lamia to not eat her. She wasn't sure what the lamia's age range was. Did she eat teenagers? Just kids? The myth was really vague.

Whatever. It might be the first time Andy's height would come in handy.

She sidled into line behind the monster, the beast not even smelling her demigod scent. That was curious, Andy would admit. Maybe that was another gift from Dolus, whether it be purposeful or not.

Before the Lamia—wait, was Lamia her name? Before Lamia could reach the counter, Andy moved up, to stand next to her. The monster gave her a quick glance, then took a double-take, instantly tensing.

"Hello, Lamia." Andy said quietly.

"Who are you?" The monster demanded. "What do you want?"

Lamia looked at her–hungry, almost, like all the monster wanted to do was eat her.

"Are you working for Kronos?" Might as well ask upfront. If any mortals heard, they'd either be confused by the Mist or just think Kronos was some obscure company they'd never heard about.

"Sure am," Lamia purred. "I can take you right there if you'd like."

Andy scoffed. "Try to be a little more subtle next time. I know your myth. Now, do you actually work for Kronos or not."

Lamia appraised her, then nodded slightly, like she finally understood something important. "You're that child of Dolus, aren't you? Kronos warned us about you."

"Did he, now."

Lamia hummed in agreement. They both moved up in the line, getting closer to the cash register. "Told us we should be on the lookout for you, and to bring you immediately to him."