Chapter Six

𝘼𝙣𝙙𝙮 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙞𝙣𝙫𝙞𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙟𝙤𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙃𝙚𝙧𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙘𝙖𝙗𝙞𝙣 𝙞𝙣 making their chariot

𝘼𝙣𝙙𝙮 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙞𝙣𝙫𝙞𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙟𝙤𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙃𝙚𝙧𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙘𝙖𝙗𝙞𝙣 𝙞𝙣 making their chariot. And now the Ares cabin was busy with making their own chariot. For the next three days, one of the only times Andy saw Clarisse was when they had their daily lessons.

They spent time together during border patrol, too, which the campers had quietly kept up without telling Tantalus.

"About the chariot race," Andy said, blocking a strike from Clarisse's sword. It was the day of the race, a couple hours before it started.

"Yeah?"

"Beat Jackson and his Cyclops brother for me."

Clarisse smirked. "You don't even have to ask."

They walked down to the chariot tracks together, splitting up when Andy went to the bleachers to watch.

The air was hot and humid, fog laying low over the ground like steam. The nearby trees were covered in hundreds of fat pigeons, making metallic scraping noises. They gave Andy a bad feeling, but she ignored it, choosing a seat near the edge of the bench.

The bleachers were recalling a row of stone steps for the spectators, who were made up of Tantalus, a few dryads and satyrs, and all the campers that didnt participated.

"Right!" Tantalus announced as the teams assembled. "You all know the rules. A quarter-mile track. Twice around to win. Two horses per chariot. Each team will consist or a driver and a fighter. Weapons are allowed. Dirty tricks are expected. But try not to kill anybody." He smiled like he expected them to try. "Any killing will result in harsh punishment. No s'mores at the campfire for a week! Now ready your chariots!"

Hephaestus's cabin was first. Their chariot was made of bronze and iron, with two metal horses like the Colchis bulls from several days before.

The Ares chariot was red, like their cabin, and was pulled by two horse skeletons. Clarisse was busy loading their chariot with various weapons.

Apollo's cabin was slim and aerodynamic, completely made of gold, and pulled by two pale palominos.

Hermes's chariot was green and rusty. It didn't look too impressive, but the Stoll brothers were manning it, and they always had a nasty trick up their sleeves.

Andy didn't pay much attention to the last couple of chariots, pulling a banner out of her back pocket. She'd made it this morning. It read: ARES SUCKS LESS THEN THE REST OF YOU! in Andy's neat, handwriting. The banner was red, with black pen.

"Charioteers!" Tantalus called. "To your marks!"

They all got ready, preparing for the go signal.

The birds got louder, and more gathered, almost covering all the leaves on the trees.

Tantalus had to yell to be heard. "Charioteers! Attend your marks!"