Chapter 3. "Sounds great."

The rest of English passed by with relative ease, each student taking it in turns to read excerpts from Mary Shelley's famous literary work out loud to the rest of the assembled class. Miss Lovato would select students at random, allowing them to read a few paragraphs before choosing someone else to take over in their stead. Lauren could sense Camila's growing unease as each of their classmates was selected but, to Miss Lovato's credit, she did not call upon the other girl to participate in understanding the difficulties that she may have. Throughout the rest of the period, Camila didn't pick up her copy of 'Frankenstein' once, instead of focusing her attention astutely on each of the assorted narrators as they spoke, her head resting securely in her right hand, her elbow planted solidly on her desk.

Finally, the bell rang and students began vacating the room en masse, leaving Camila and Lauren to speak to Miss Lovato regarding the excessive use of profanities at the beginning of class.

"Lauren," Miss Lovato started, perching herself on a desk facing the pair of them. "I won't tolerate language like that in my class from anyone, especially you. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Miss," Lauren replied sheepishly. "I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

"I'm surprised it happened at all." Miss Lovato noted. "I've never heard you curse in class before Lauren. I don't mind how you behave outside of my classroom but...."

"Miss Lovato," Camila spoke up, interrupting the teacher. "It was my fault."

"Camila..." Miss Lovato started.

"No, really," Camila cut her off. "Lauren...she was just trying to.....help...me." Miss Lovato raised her eyebrow questioningly and Camila turned to Lauren for help with her explanation.

"Don't listen to her," Lauren said dismissing Camila's words indifferently not wanting her to get in trouble. "We both know it was me and I accept responsibility. From now on I'll be on my best behavior."

"Lauren," Camila protested. "Miss....I star...star....ugh!" Camila slammed her hand against the desk in frustration and gave Lauren a pleading look.

"Ok," Miss Lovato said taking Camila's hand in her own to stop her from repeating the action. "Take a breath a moment." Camila did as she was instructed, not once removing her eyes from Lauren. Lauren shifted uncomfortably in her seat, Camila's eyes boring into her so much that she had to avert her gaze. Camila shook her head annoyed, not wanting Lauren to take the blame for something that only happened because of her. Lauren didn't owe her anything, she shouldn't be thought badly of by Miss Lovato because she was trying to make her smile.

"I....curs...ed....f...f...fir..." Camila groaned. "First." She managed to force out, turning her attention back to Miss Lovato who was watching her closely. "Me." Camila looked back at Lauren. "Please," she almost begged. "T..te..."

Miss Lovato turned to Lauren sensing Camila's distress at not being able to express herself. "Ok fine," Lauren relented, her stomach churning at the sight of Camila so desperate to get her point across.

"Camila technically started it but, I chose to continue and I shouldn't have." Camila ran a hand through her hair in relief, flashing both Lauren and Miss Lovato a glimpse of the scar on the left side of her head before a few long dark locks obscured it once more. She rubbed at her left eye before rubbing her temple gently and giving Lauren a grateful look. "She couldn't speak," Lauren went on as Miss Lovato eyed Camila worriedly. "She was frustrated and trying to curse but couldn't so....I cursed for her."

"The report from your speech therapist says that your speech is worse when you're tired," Miss Lovato noted. "Principal Michaels has agreed for you to have a phased return to school. If you need to go home Camila then we can arrange that." Camila shook her head.