waking her up after you have a bad dream

You closed your eyes and tried hard to steady your fast-beating heart as sweat rolled down your skin and your chest rose and fell unsteadily. The nightmare lingered in your brain and you couldn't seem to get rid of the terrible memory.

You swallowed thickly and reached out for Sana with your shaky hands. At first, you simply let it fall against her back and focused on her steady breathing.

Unlike your own, her breathing was even, and you even tried to match your breaths to hers. But every time you closed your eyes or you tried to breathe, your heart would pound and your mind would race.

"Sana?' You whispered as you shook her shoulder. "Sana? Can you please wake up? Please?" You pleaded and, at the sound of the sadness in your voice, she quickly awoke.

She lifted her face from her pillow and craned her neck to look over at you.

"Y/n? Are you alright?"

"No." You answered quickly. There was a crack in your voice; one that instantly broke her heart. "I had a really bad dream."

She sat up quickly and flipped the switch on the lamp, making the room brighten up a little before she scooted closer and closer till she could pull you right into her arms.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you but I was scared and I didn't know what to do."

"No, honey, no." She whispered softly as she rubbed your back. "Don't be sorry. It's all okay." She assured. "I'm right here. I understand that it was scary but I promise that you're safe. It was only a terrible dream, that's all." She spoke softly as she brushed her hand along your back and left kisses on the crown of your head. "Wanna tell me what it was about?"

"Someone was chasing me and I couldn't get away from them." You mumbled against her neck as you buried your face there, finding comfort in the smell of her skin and the warmth of her embrace. "I tried and tried but no matter how much I tried I just couldn't."

"It was only a dream." She whispered. "Just an awful dream. But look around. You're safe right here in your room, in the comfort of our bed and in my arms. No one is gonna chase you or hurt you, not ever. You're safe with me, always."

You cracked a small smile and it only grew a little more when she kissed your forehead. Her lips were warm and soft against your skin. you closed your eyes, basking in the comfort that only she can give you.

"Wanna lay down?"

You shrugged. "I don't know if I can fall back asleep."

"That's perfectly fine. We'll just watch your favorite show to pass the time. Neither of us has anything to do tomorrow so whatever happens, happens." She said and turned the tv on and flipped to the channel that always plays your favorite show about this time each night.

Once you seemed settled into her embrace and focused on the show, only then did she feel alright with turning the lamp off.

"You doing alright?" She asked as she brushed her fingers through your hair.

"I'm okay. I feel a little better now."

"Good, baby." She said. "I'm right here. Don't worry about a thing. I've got you and I won't let you go."

You nodded and turned your face to brush your lips against her jaw before laying your head back down on her shoulder.

"You can go back to sleep. I know you must be tired after being so busy for a few long weeks."

"Don't worry about me. Just watch the show and relax." She replied and then kissed your head to bring you a little more reassurance.

She was tired; that much was obvious. But she was determined to stay awake until you fell back asleep.

And it only took another thirty minutes for that to happen.

Because though the dream was terrible, you felt comforted with Sana there. With her fingers in your hair, soft kisses on your head, her heartbeat thudding in your ear, and her arms wrapped tightly around you, the nightmare began to fade from your mind more and more, minute by minute, till it was entirely forgotten about.

Only when she heard your soft little snores and your warm breath against her skin did she feel comfortable enough to fall back asleep, too.

"Goodnight, my girl. Sleep well and have very good dreams. I love you." She whispered and kissed your head lingeringly before she fell back asleep with her head rested comfortably on yours.