€𝓓𝓾𝓸€

Everyone cheered in the stands as the swimmers dived in the clear blue water

Everyone cheered in the stands as the swimmers dived in the clear blue water. The yells got louder when one girl was ahead of the others. Five minutes later the girl finished her laps and got out of the water. The sound of cheering was deafening. The girl smiled and held up her medal showing she got first place. Nobody was mad at her. She didn't shove it in people's faces and congratulated everyone. It was the main reason everyone loved her. Once it died down some she walked over to the locker to change, getting pats on her back and the occasional,

"Nice job!"

"See you at the next tournament!"

"Nice work out there!"

"You were super fast!"

As she made her way to the lockers the sounds got quieter. She wondered if anyone noticed her smile wasn't genuine. She chuckled darkly at the thought of someone even caring. She dropped her smile and had a somber look on. She sighed as her phone rang and picked it up. 

"Yes?" She made sure her vice showed little emotion.

"Did you win girl?" She scoffed in her head. She wouldn't dare do it out loud.

"Yes."

"Well be there in five." *click*

The girl sighed again and grimaced and she sat down to change. She had to be gentle around the bruise on her stomach. She hated how perfectly placed it was. She took her swimming cap off, showing her long black hair up in a tight bun. She didn't need goggles as she could somehow see underwater. She looked at herself in the mirror. Green emerald eyes staring at green emerald eyes. She felt so bad for the person in the mirror. She hurried and got dressed knowing her relatives hated having to wait for her. Having to get ready multiple times like this she was done in under 2 minutes.

She walked back down the halls hearing chattering and seeing people leaving. That's when she spotted her relatives. Her Aunt Petunia looked like a horse with her long neck. Her uncle looked like a tub of lard and her cousin looked like a blob of flesh. She could see people eyeing them like they always did. She kept her face clear of any emotions. Like a doll. Petunia looked down at her slightly scowling.

"Let's get going! You need to make dinner." Said Vernon.

She refrained from rolling her eyes. Of course, he would only care about food. You would think he'd learn how to cook his own food since he loves it so much. But no. Too much work.

"I'm going to get the check." Petunia replied with pursed lips.

She watched as her Aunt walked to Miss Janice. She was the one who gave out checks. The black-haired girl knew this was going to happen. It happened when she was 5. She won, and her family got the checks.

It all started when her aunt heard some rich women talking about how her daughter could swim. Petunia wasn't paying attention until she heard you could win money. She forced her niece to join and gave her the toughest coaches. Her niece earned them so much, that Vernon didn't even have to go to work much so they had lots of money left over. Surprisingly, Lyra loved swimming and took it very seriously. It took her mind off her relatives and it meant they couldn't harm as much since the bathing suit wouldn't cover it.

The car ride home was quiet. It always was. The girl sat far away from her cousin and looked out the window. Watching everything wisp by until it was one blur. She happened to look up and saw the moon was at its fullest. Unknowingly she smiled. A genuine one.

'One day, I'm going to leave and make them pay for how they treat me. Literally and figuratively speaking.'

When she got home she immediately started making dinner.  Lyra hadn't been pay attention like she usually did. So while carrying the pan she dropped it. And all the food on the pan came tumbling down to the hardwood floor. Silence filled the whole house. Lyra stood in the middle of it all shaking in fear. Vernon gave her a shark-like green and dragged her outside.

Lyra had never felt so alone.

𝓣𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓼𝓴𝓲𝓹~

Lyra was now in a pool of her blood. There were traces of salt and lemon surrounding her. Vernon seemed content with what he did, and through her outside.

"Don't bother coming back!"

"Petunia will let you back in when she wakes up."

And with that, he slammed the door.

Lyra was trying to process what he said but realized it made no sense. Sighing she rolled over on her back and saw the moon bright as day, looking down on her.

'Wow. Out of all the days to die, I do so on my birthday.'

"Lady Hecate, Lady Selene, please send someone to help me."

Lyra saw a glimpse of a pale man with black hair going to his shoulders.

"Please"-

And she was gone.

6/19/21

This chapter was rewritten by yours truly.