16. Toby

Tuesday 9th August
10am

Toby

“Over my dead body will I let you step out that door.” My mother’s shrill voice reached my ears making me cringe, I paused as I reached the bottom of the stairs. I walked forward to the corner leading to the front door, with the view of my mom blocking the door and my dad adjusting his suit tie as he dropped his briefcase on the floor.

“Come off it you silly woman, who are you to tell me what I can and can’t do,” My father said in the same high tempo.

The scene in front of me was not one I was used to. I knew my parents could barely stand each other in the same house and ended up arguing for one reason or the other if they stayed in a room together longer than ten minutes. Arguing for hours, non stop use of provocative words, they could bring the house down and to keep myself sane, I either increased my speakers or left the house.

They just never fought in an open area where I or the house cleaners could see them. My mom was a patient and private person, but the scene in front of me made me think otherwise. My dad on the other hand was a selfish man who only cared about himself claiming it was tough love.

“Me? Silly? You are a mad man and I’m just starting with you oh.” She looked fresh out of bed, her hair net still on her head.

My dad was a tall man, muscular build, dark short hair with small hints of grey hair in the middle. His youthful look was what he still used to get young girls he could give birth to and get away it without society poking around his business.

He seemed to be losing his patience as he gritted out, “Get out of my way.”

“So you can go ahead and see that girlfriend of yours?”

“I am not going to see any girlfriend. I have a meeting with the party members partaking the upcoming elections.”

“Hmm, I was not born yesterday.” She locked the double doors and put the key in her bra underneath her robe.

I didn’t even know if I should laugh or be worried at this new side of my mom. Always kept her cool whenever she was angry, especially if it had to do with my dad.
“I’m warning you, Rachel.”

“Abeg, your warnings are entering the left ear and coming out from the other ear,” She dramatized.

The tension building between both of them was one I feared to witness and I thought I’d just sneak up back to my room.

Then I noticed my dad raising his hand to hit my mom. I did not hesitate to interfere, all caution of respect flying out the window as I hurried towards them.

“Enough!” I boomed, stepping out of the corner standing a few feet from them.

Their gazes simultaneously landed on me. My mom who was still gripping the door handle with a fierce look, licked her lips, blinked several times looking embarrassed by her impolite behavior I just witnessed. My father on the other hand dropped his hands, eyed me from head to toe and scoffed.

“Toby dear, please go back to your room. Your father and I are just discussing.” She gave a weak smile and my dad scoffed again and so did I. Discussing indeed.