(8) Laura.

Monday, 25 July.
15:15

Laura

I was woken from my short nap at the sound of my classmates loud cheerful voices singing the hit song, 'On the low' by Burna boy. If I was in the mood I would join them in celebrating but the fact that they woke me from my sleep made me cranky.

I yanked my school blazers up my sleeves to check the time on my wrist watch which read 15:15.

The school term was over and I was going to be promoted to the last class. One more year of high school. Thank God!

So at that point, it was understandable for we students to be in an overly joyous mood and had the itch to vandalize school properties as a heartwarming farewell gift.

No, I wasn't among those set of people. I rubbed my tired eyes adjusting to the sunlight hitting my face through the window closest to me. Slamming the window, the vacant seat beside me caught my attention and I looked around the class in search of Hannah, my seat partner.

At the center of the class, there she was bathing in praises of her cardi-b twerking moves by thirsty teenage boys. It amazed me how well she was flexible with that tiny waist of hers which moved simultaneously to the beat of the desks and off key singing.

I groaned, prepared to scream at the top of my voice to get Hannah's attention. On my third call, she heard and ran to me.

"Sleeping beauty. I was just about to wake you." She said in between breaths as she sat on the desk in front of me.

Oh Hannah! I had met no one who could whip a blatant lie so quick.

"It's past three you fool."

I was a deep sleeper and had difficulty waking myself up. Hannah was clearly the wrong candidate to assign the job of waking me up. I was supposed to meet the principal by 2pm to inform her of my change of departments to avoid mishaps at the beginning of next class.

"So sorry, I had no idea time had gone." She said.

I couldn't stay angry at the smiling, cute round face glistening with sweat. Hannah was just a foot shorter than me. I ruffled her low cut Jerry curls and ignored her pleading as I pulled off my Blazer, tied it around my waist, picked up my bag and walked out of the class.

I had more pressing matters to attend to and if I stayed any longer, Hannah would just tie me down with her nonsense talks.

The hot air that hit me was unpleasant to my skin that had gotten used to the cold air of the air conditioned classroom.

I pushed through the bodies of students mostly my Juniors and as I was a senior and the most popular girl in the school, the crowds dispersed quickly as I hurried to get to the principal's office hoping I could meet up before she'd leave for the staff meeting.

Taking the last turn to my destination, big male hands grabbed my wrist. I was fast in reacting as I hit the person on the shoulder. At least the self defense classes I was forced to take paid off.

"Still aggressive as ever." The deep cool voice of Jordan, my ex-boyfriend stopped me from hitting him again.

"You should know I hate people sneaking up on me." I growled.

Jordan was my first boyfriend ever and we had gone on and off most of the time. We started dating in junior class 3 up until last two weeks. In between the three breakups we had, I dated two other guys. We were a mess and yet the best couple in my set.

This time the breakup was very real and now all I felt towards him was hatred and anger.

"What do you want?" I shifted from foot to foot at the close proximity between us. He must have noticed my uneasiness as he moved back.