(10) Toby

Monday 25 July.

Toby.

Three….

Two…

One.

“I’m not interested.”

Being a guy, a fine looking one at that was not as interesting as people made it seem. It could be helpful and annoying at the same time.

My ever persistent ex girlfriend with the eyes of a hungry cougar was sitting on the opposite of the lunch table finally stopped yapping and moved closer in an attempt to hold my hands.

“You didn’t even let me finish.”

“Please just go,” I sighed.

I adjusted my blazers as the cold air from the vents was hitting me directly and I considered changing seats.

After the bell rang for the last time that day, I chose to head to the cafeteria to grab a snack before I met up with Mabel. Things were not going smoothly so far with my plans.

What in God’s name possessed this girl to think I was interested in dating her again? Her voracious eyes stared at me with chagrin.

“I know you like me so stop denying it. Let’s just hang out this summer and go wherever the wind takes us.”

The sounds from her mouth were atrocious and irritating like a bad off tune cover of my favorite song that could make my ears bleed from the torture and the only place I needed the wind to take her was somewhere far, far away.

It sucked I found myself in this situation almost every day of school. I didn’t ask to be the popular guy as it was something I disliked. The attention from everyone made me uncomfortable. None of them knew how bad it felt to repeat a class. I not only I had to deal with my ex but other girls.

They never said anything about it to my face or even treated me bad. They only focused on how attractive I was. How rich and influential my family were was a bonus but no one really cared about that aspect since every student in the school were from rich families.

“I really don’t know what or who gave you the idea I was interested in you but you’ve got it all wrong." My voice came out raspy than intended.

As expected, she claimed to be offended and continued to disturb me. I was not the nicest guy in school and neither was I a terrible person. I was more like what you’d call neutral, I could adjust to whatever energy a person threw at me.

“You still have not changed.” She leaned back and crossed her arms.

Who could I have possibly offended to curse me this afternoon. How do I get of this importunate pest?

“I am not in the mood to talk. Please go away,”

She ignored and moved closer to me. I caught the strong whiff of her perfume which I remember getting for her as a parting gift when we broke up. Maybe that was what I did wrong.

“You look more handsome every day,” She said, staring wantonly.

“I know we left things in such a horrible way and I forgive you. Seeing the way you turned down Amaka and other girls all through this term confirmed my suspicions. You’ve never been the type to be single for too long and so that means you still like me and want me back. If that is truly the case, let’s get back together and act like the breakup never happened.”