(4) Toby.

Friday 22 June, 2019
20:30

Toby Williams.

Hours of playing FIFA 19 on the PlayStation 4, I was proud of my mad thrilling skills that were formidable. I grabbed my phone from the side table close to me and quickly sent a text to Henry, to come early the next day for our usual weekend friendly match.

There was a light knock on the door of the game room as I tossed my iPhone on the bean bag close to the TV set. My mom, Ajoke Williams, scrutinized the state of the neat room with a smile on her face.

The usual state of my game room being upside down was not the case today and she seemed proud of me cleaning up after myself for the first time as she walked to sit with me. Wish I could say the same for my bedroom.

"Good evening, mom." I greeted, making room for her.

"Toby, How are you? How was school?" She asked as she dropped her suitcase by the chair, yanked off her heels and made herself comfortable on the couch.

"I'm okay and School wasn't that bad."

She let out a yawn before pulling out a KFC food pack and placed it on the glass center table in front of me, giving me an apologetic glance.

"How was the fashion exhibition?" I asked to divert any talk on the food issue.

"It was great, thanks for asking."

"Did you get the contract?" I asked, pulling of my hoodie and left my black singlet on that showed my lean muscles.

"You know your mother, she's the best at what she does." She said excitedly.

She went on to give me details on how it went down, her smile widening and her eyes sparkling with excitement as she talked about clothes. Her smooth dark face free of makeup looking radiant and younger than forty.

"That reminds me," She opened her handbag and brought a file, handing it over to me.

"These are the papers to the hotel in Lekki phase 2. It's officially yours." She placed an official black card in my hand.

I quickly grabbed the papers from her hand to go through and assessed it, page by page and signed where needed.

"Does that mean I can throw dad out now?"
Eyes glued on the black card, I bandied with a serious look on my face.

My father, Alfred Williams, the successful politician running for governor of the state, spent most of his time in his former hotel with little concern for our family. I knew my dad didn't care for me and my mom and would abandon us if he could.

The only reason I believed he still stayed around was because he needed us as a family to win the election.

There was apparently nothing stronger for a political candidate than the appearance of a happy family man. Deceiving the poor masses to fulfill their selfish goals to steal the people's money.

He gave endless excuses that it was easier for him because of how close his office was to the hotel and hated to get stuck in the Lagos brutal traffic. Better still, he could cheat with ease.

Sometimes, he said he didn't have much of a choice since most of his conference meetings were held there but it was all just excuses and I knew it. Stupid excuses.