IX

She knew something was wrong.

Gusion was talking about how he learned to hunt when she heard a twig snapping behind them. She quickly hushed him and scanned the area. It was nearly nightfall and the sunset made the forest look as if it were on fire.

"What is it?" Gusion asked in a hushed tone, preparing his dagger in one hand.

"I think we're being followed." She whispered back.

How she only notice it now was beyond her. How long have they been followed? Before she could even cast her magic, a powerful blast knocked both of them back causing her to violently hit her already bruised back on the forest floor. She gasped in agony.

Her vision blurred as pain overwhelmed her body. What was that? She gritted her teeth as she tried to regain her composure but another bright light and Gusion's yell of pain made her wince.

"Gusion!" She scrambled up on her feet but she was held captive by a huge man in a hood. She struggled against his tight grip but he covered her nose and mouth with a cloth, forcing her to inhale whatever chemical was on it.

She immediately lost focus and eventually passed out.

~•°•~

She wasn't sure whether the stabbing pain on her back or the chatter of her captors woke her.

Guinevere kept still as she observed them. There were five of them. All wearing black cloaks with their hood covering their faces. Based on that blast from earlier, she immediately concluded that they were mages.

Why did they take her? Where was Gusion?

"The Paxleys will be thrilled to know we got their runaway bride alright." One of them said.

She gritted her teeth in annoyance. The Paxleys have been searching for her? Gusion wasn't kidding about them loving to have her join the family afterall. She was a prize indeed.

"Not to mention we taught their rebellious son a good lesson." Another man added with a sinister chuckle.

"A good beating at that." The one holding her right arm laughed out.

What a mess she's in. Just when they were so close to finding Lancelot. It's high time she made use of her skills. She's had about enough being the damsel in distress.

With her newfound strength and anger, she launched herself up into the air loosening the grip on her arms and causing the men to turn to her in shock. When she hit the ground again, she knocked them up into the air and released all her pent up rage and energy, releasing deadly balls of magic colliding into their knocked up bodies.

She let out a groan when the pain on her back resurfaced. Once done, she focused on creating a copy of herself and dashed away from them. She can feel her legs and arms tremble as she went but she couldn't afford to look back and see if they were passed out.

Guinevere ran as fast as her feet can take her and held on to her messed up back. After a few minutes of running and after being sure she was no longer in danger, she stumbled on the ground and knelt down as she tried to catch her breath.

Her mind then wandered to Gusion. Where was he? Was he still alive?

She let out a sigh of frustration and looked around the area. It's already night time and she needed to find a good place to rest. She knew staying on low ground won't be wise so she decided to climb up a tree again. She'll just have to endure the pain on her back.

~•°•~

With a grunt of agony, Guinevere hauled herself up on the sturdy branch of her chosen tree and adjusted herself so her back could rest against the bark.

Great.

The Paxleys sent out deadly mages to capture her and she knew they'll be back. Why can't some people accept no for an answer?

She squeezed her eyes shut as another round of stabbing pain racked her system.

At dawn, she'll have to quicken her pace to arrive at the Swan Lake and hopefully find Lancelot there or at least get some help.